Mega Drive Mini 2 announced

More games have been announced today for the Japanese version of the Mini.

Aah! Harimanada
Alien Soldier
Fatal Fury 2
Final Fight CD
Gambler Jiko Chuushinha: Katayama Masayuki no Mahjong Doujou
Lunar: Eternal Blue
Lunar: The Silver Star
Sanrin San-Chan
Super Street Fighter II
Tatsujin
Wondermega Collection Game Garden

1 Like

Sanrin San-Chan was a System 1 arcade game but that video screen shot shows a Mega Drive box. Could this be an unreleased port?

1 Like

Just in case people didn’t click through up above, the US one is on sale but will ship from Japan. Here’s the direct Amazon order link.

【For sales in North America】SEGA Genesis Mini 2 https://a.co/d/h8ER40j

And yeah. I ordered. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it’s a wholly new port, kinda like that Fantasy Zone port on the first Mini.

I pre-ordered this. And I NEVER pre-order shit. Ever.

2 Likes

I think you mean Darius. The Mega Drive already had a Fantasy Zone game.
Still, a new port of something is pretty cool.

2 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t get my facts straight. The Mini 2 will feature a brand new MD version of Fantasy Zone. I somehow thought that one was already on the first Mini.

1 Like

I’ve been quick to preorder stuff like this because they’re usually limited so if you want it for the normal price it’s better to just assume this is the only way you’ll ever get it that cheaply.

I preordered the Turbografx-16 Mini like a year before it shipped… at least! Now they’re worth double at least.

1 Like

oh, I wasn’t aware they were remaking Fantasy Zone. I don’t see the point in that when the excellent Super Fantasy Zone already exists.

1 Like

More games have been announced for the Japanese version of the Mini.

Ecco The Dolphin CD
Gain Ground
King Colossus
Phantasy Star 2
Populous
Robo Aleste
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 3
Shin Megami Tensei
Sorcerian
Tenka Fubu: Eiyuutachi no Houkou
Viewpoint

2 Likes

The full list of games for the Western version of the Mini has been revealed.

After Burner II
Alien Soldier
Atomic Runner
Bonanza Bros.
ClayFighter
Crusader of Centy
Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf
Earthworm Jim 2
Elemental Master
Fatal Fury 2
Gain Ground
Golden Axe II
Granada
Hellfire
Herzog Zwei
Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar
Midnight Resistance
OutRun
OutRunners
Phantasy Star II
Populous
Rainbow Islands Extra
Ranger-X
Ristar
Rolling Thunder 2
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
Shining Force II
Shining in the Darkness
Sonic 3D Blast
Splatterhouse 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Hang-On
Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
The Ooze
The Revenge of Shinobi
ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
Truxton
VectorMan 2
Viewpoint
Virtua Racing
Warsong

CD games:

Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco: The Tides of Time
Final Fight CD
Mansion of Hidden Souls
Night Striker
Night Trap
Robo Aleste
Sewer Shark
Shining Force CD
Silpheed
Sonic The Hedgehog CD
The Ninja Warriors

Also included are a few bonus games. Here’s the list, along with some background information.

Devi & Pii – Paddle-style game developed by Takashi Iizuka in 1993, before he developed Sonic 3. Iizuka-san designed the game, characters, and sprites. The game never released.

Fantasy Zone – New port from the same team who ported Darius for the original Genesis Mini.

Space Harrier II (+Space Harrier) – New ports using the sprite zoom function!

Spatter – M2 “hobby” port of a small arcade game released by SEGA in 1984. The game was created by the graphic designer of Flicky.

Star Mobile – Puzzle game developed by Mindware in 1992; it was completed at the time, but never released.

Super Locomotive – M2 “hobby” port of a small arcade game released by SEGA in 1982.

VS Puyo Puyo Sun – “Demake” of Puyo Puyo Sun, only featuring VS mode, with new rules not found in the original version.

Release date: October 27th

3 Likes

It’s worth it for Crusader of Centy alone!

But yeah I’m really interested in this mini.

3 Likes

And here’s the full list of games that are featured on the Japanse Mini:

After Burner 2
Alien Soldier
Bonanza Bros.
Chelnov
Columns 3
Crusader of Centy
Devi to Pi
Fatal Fury 2
Fantasy Zone
Gain Ground
Granada
Harimanada
Honou no Toukyuuji: Dodge Danpei
Magical Taruruto-kun
Majandojo
Megapanel
Midnight Resistance
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
OutRun
Party Quiz Mega Q 2022
Party Quiz Sega Q
Phantasy Star II
Populous
Puyo Puyo Sun
Puzzle & Action Ichidant-R
Ranger X
Shining in the Darkness
Sorcerian
Space Harrier 2
Spatter
Splatterhouse 2
Star Cruiser
Star Mobile
Super Locomotive
Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
Tatsujin
Thunder Force IV
Tougi Ou: King Colossus
Viewpoint
Virtua Racing

CD games:

Captain Tsubasa
Ecco the Dolphin CD
Final Fight CD
Lunar: Eternal Blue
Lunar: The Silver Star
Mahou no Shoujo: Silky Lip
Mansion of Hidden Souls
Night Striker
Night Trap
The Ninja Warriors
Popful Mail
Robo Aleste
Romance of the Three Kingdoms III
Shin Megami Tensei
Shining Force CD
Silpheed
Sonic CD
StarBlade
Tenka Fubu: Eiyutachi no Houkou
Wondermega Collection

That is quite possibly the greatest and most interesting selections of games on any of the Mini consoles by far! While I own many of them, there are a number I don’t including of course Crusader of Centy.

If they had gotten Snatcher in there I would’ve lost my mind, but even as is, that is fantastic. I am so glad I already preordered!

1 Like

I’m so annoyed this isn’t available in Canada as we are a pretty large part of North America where the console is supposed to be available :roll_eyes:

I want to “wait and see” but at the same time I’m wondering if I should just preorder using my forwarding service.

You just never know with Sega…

1 Like

Same boat here, I think I’ll just go ahead and order it myself. What do you think is the cheapest way to go about it for us Canadians?

1 Like

I’m in for one of these as soon as it’s hacked, so I can run my T&E SOFT golf games.

Until then, is each edition running the same software? So I can set it to Japanese and get that selection of games? Ideally I’d get the Japanese boxed version, but let’s see.

1 Like

Unfortunately, changing the region doesn’t change the selection of games. It just switches to the regional variant of the games that are already on the system.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a little disappointing. I was hoping we could at least try to play the Japanese lineup on the US Genesis Mini 2, but I get it. They can potentially sell me another one this way and likely the licensing of the original game that got in the way of having those games on here in the first place is a problem for that.

I’m really happy with the Mini 2. It’s got a really great selection in the US and I’ve really enjoyed both Super Locomotive and Spatter as brand new games I never played before and are presented beautifully here! They’re both creative and have that Sega DNA you can just feel when you play them, in some ways familiar but in others completely unique and cool.

When they announced the list, I was actually surprised at how many games I already owned and played that were making the list, but now that I have it, I realize that it also has a bunch of stuff I have never played and because the performance of the device is solid, I’m very comfortable playing the games on the Mini instead of pulling out those carts/CDs! That’s testament to the quality here IMO. I literally have the CRT and Genesis 2/Sega CD2/32X platform right next to the Mini 2. I can go either way. I’ve enjoyed having both the list easily accessible and having the save states to keep my high scores.

Mini 2 is a big win for me. Very happy. I haven’t even started up Crusader of Centy yet which I’ve waited 30 years to play!

3 Likes