MiSTer FPGA - OT

The MiSTer benefits greatly from consolization. If someone is already really into retro games (considering console mods, a RetroTink 5x, etc.) I would absolutely recommend they go ahead and spring for one of these solutions.

I hacked up my own ‘consolized’ MiSTer from an old APC UPS unit last year and it was a lot of fun. I definitely use my MiSTer more now that it is all contained and accessible with a push of a button.

1 Like

Pic plz!

1. I see there is this note in the github about DAC comparability:

NOTE : as of 2021/06/27 it seems very hard to find compatible devices. Even previously recommended ones do not seem to be fabricated with compatible chips, so keep this in mind in order to not spend money unnecessary. More info here: HDMI to VGA direct video compatibility · Issue #410 · MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer · GitHub

Does anyone have recommendations on a compatible device? All I really need is VGA 15khz and audio output.

1. I am also confused about the need for the SD ram. This section states that some cores can use it as an option:

What is the difference when a core uses the RAM “optionally” and when it doesn’t have it?

This is the one I bought in Jan 2020 that Smokemonster recommended at the time. I used it until I decided to get the usb board. Worked fine for me with direct video.

[edit, by usb board I meant IO board]

1 Like

This case was inspired by the PC-FX case that Goosewerks made on the MiSTer forum. His is much nicer and more well thought out, but I have always loved the thought of a microtower console like the PC-FX, and happend to have this old APC PSU that I had not good use for.

I don’t have a lot of good pics, bur the process was pretty basic. I wired up the front LEDs already on the PSU to correspond to the MiSTer’s and added a power button. I carved out ports in front and back with a Dremel, and used USB and Ethernet extenders for more accessibility. I also have three other front buttons wired up and buttons under the front panel but drilling the holes precisely is something I haven’t figured out.

Still to do is to paint it a little darker and add a vinyl logo on the front, I am thinking I’ll try and mimic a Core Grafx look.

4 Likes

Nice!

The kerning on the logos would be better if it was manually adjusted (ideally the space between letters would be uniform, at least visually). I’d be happy to help if required.

Fantastic idea.

Nothing quite like bad keming!

1 Like

:clap::joy:

I should be getting a DE10-Nano in time for Christmas.

Mouser are expecting more stock at the end of the month.

Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

I received mine from Digikey recently. Got the fan/VGA hub and upgraded power supply.

Not sure how I missed the lack of full size USB ports on there, so I’m waiting for that adapter to come in.

I read earlier the eventual PlayStation core will only be using the hdmi out? Does that inherently add lag or is there an option to push out the natural resolution with no delay through that output port?

They have this thing called Direct Video that uses the HDMI connector to output analog video.

1 Like

Just seen this in a FB group. MiSTer into a Wii U gamepad - work in progress.

Genius idea!

1 Like

Awesome. I think I’ll be retiring my PSP soon.

2 Likes

More advances on PSX and a Jaguar update

I posted on Era that I thought I was LTTP two years ago, but it’s full blown supernova now. :fire:

2 Likes

Incredible! I ordered a fully-configured MiSTer from misteraddons, and cannot wait to receive it!

the PSX core looks like it’s close, and even has optional texture filtering at no performance cost. I’m going to end up getting a Mister just for this tbh. I can play on a PSP d-pad for only so long. wish there was an easy way of procuring one though

I’m on a CRT but I am very interested in trying out the PSX widescreen support. What a cool project.

1 Like

I’m still waiting for my aluminum kit pre-order from MiSTer Addons, but I am definitely looking forward to trying out the new PS1 core when I get it. I hope Silent Hill works on it!

PSX core is moving so fast. I have booted and played a bit into dozens of games with no issues so far, some of which were not working when I first tried the core just a couple months ago. My only advice is to make sure and save your memory cards and turn on autosave, I lost a lot of progress by missing that!

Now I’m wrangling ‘proper’ scaling settings for the ao486 core. The games work great but I am having trouble finding the right output so that games don’t look stretched or squashed into a smaller frame.

2 Likes

I ordered a second mister this week, lol. I’ve been exclusively using my current on on a PVM so I’m looking forward to using the scalers and doing some couch gaming with my second on a hdtv.

Also, there’s a Game and Watch core in development

1 Like