MiSTer FPGA - OT

Some cores require SDRAM to be added. 128Mb is currently the largest one available. You can see which cores require what amount of RAM on this page on the wiki. There isn’t much info on the Capcom cores on the wiki, but I’m pretty sure they require 128Mb SDRAM too.

The requirements section of the wiki is a good place to start researching.

@cornerstone Some Jotego cores (CPS among others as well) are publicly available now, the most recent ones are still behind the patreon paywall. I’m not sure if there’s a set timeframe when he releases them to the public or not.

1 Like

Wow that’s nuts. This stuff has come so far (all of it, not just fpga). I am seriously considering cashing out my collection for big bucks (well some/most of it anyway) and going with something like this.

I am really struggling with this. I don’t have large or all that valuable collections for say the SNES and Genesis, but with MiSTer I am sorely tempted to sell out and just focus on the little FPGA that could. I usually regret selling games so I am holding off for now, but if I could make some extra cash selling some games and consoles I don’t really use, it is hard to think of reasons not to.

1 Like

I wish we had these options before I started collecting and building my giant setup lol. But now that I have my setup, I really don’t want to part with it. It’s too much fun to use real hardware. Building it was also a ton of fun.

But if this were around a decade ago, I probably never would have started the process of getting this far down the rabbit hole.

2 Likes

this will be amazing when the PSX core is released. the prices for some of those games is just nuts right now. arcade games with near perfect accuracy is also a godsend

Is a MiSTer able to run super resolutions or something similar for arcade cores?

With a groovymame setup, you’d use them so you wouldn’t have to physically adjust the monitor to switch between differing resolution arcade games, yet still have the correct pixel sizing

I mean if I had your setup, especially following how much work you put into it in the setup thread, I would never part with it either! It is in it’s own atmosphere aesthetically.

It is just awesome to have so many ways of playing games in very, very accurate and high-fidelity ways. Retro gaming has blown up and some of the stuff out now is worlds away from what I thought would be available 5 years ago.

The PS1 and Saturn cores for MiSTer are a great case in point. Time will tell if and when these will reach the level of the Genesis or SNES core (and until then there are multiple ODE and emulation options for both systems), but if the MiSTer can pull that off I’d have very little reason to hang on to any console older than the N64.

I know there are videos of the PS1 already in-game though, so it may not be that far off.

1 Like

At THIS link the dev of the PS1 core says the core will not output over the VGA port on the Analog I/O board.

This is a real bummer. Since PS1 ODE installs are pretty complicated and expensive I was really hoping this MiSTer core would be able to basically replace the PS1 but no I/O board output is tough. Right now I find it really handy to use the VGA port for 15KHz and HDMI for 31KHz and computer cores.

1 Like

that really is a bummer

on PS1 ODE’s, I thought the PSIO was as simple as putting a cartridge in the I/O port?

The PSIO requires a small board installed before it can work, unfortunately. It has some fine pitch SMD soldering so it is above my rudimentary skills. The X-Station is even more difficult so I hear.

Direct Video has not worked well for my component setup so it seems like I’d need to purchase a RGB2Comp (which means losing the scaled output) to get this to work.

But in the end it is great this is so far long anyway! Plus the dev doesn’t seem to have ruled out getting analog I/O output added in later so there is still hope.

1 Like

oh wow, I was about to pull the trigger on a cheap PS1 too thinking the ODE install was simple if I ever needed it. guess I’ll stick to my PSP and playing the few discs I have on the PS2 (seriously, some of the prices for PS1 games are ridiculous)

I’ll keep an eye on the Mister core though

Has anybody seen the xtreme mister twitter account? This thing looks great, though expecting it to be a high price

I follow it. Tried asking the creator what exactly it was and got precious little out of him. He also seems to have pissed off a few people in the scene so discussion of it has been banned from some places.

That’s said, it’s just another daughter board setup isn’t it? DE10 sits inside it.

https://twitter.com/xtreme_mister

Totally agree.

working board for this and now attached to Europes biggest player in the MiSTer scene: Facebook Groups

Not to sound super ignorant here, but what exactly are these Xtreme Mister or Mister Addons guy’s Mister Express?

Just custom pcbs / daughter boards for the DE-10? Like not added functionality or power right?

I just want to be sure - if that’s true then I’m sure there is at least somewhat of a market for pre-built setups! The more the merrier!

Correct.

If you need extra connections then pick the one that suits you.

It seems to be a race to release the “wrapper” that does the most and captures the attention of the market.

But there are too many, not all will survive, so I’m going to wait until this all shakes out.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification. I’ve had mine in a 3d printed case but recently added the USB board and kinda dig the DIY bare look.

Piecing it together has been part of the fun for me but I’m glad for anything that widens the amount of folks interested in the project.

I don’t have a mister yet but I’ll probably jump when the Xtreme board releases, simply because it has four controller ports on the front and collects a bunch of add-ons together.

My thoughts as well. I was going to get Mister addons most recent case, but I’ll wait for now. My Mister has been naked since last March so what’s some more time on the nude pcb beach? :joy:

1 Like