NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread - Playing With Power, Then and Now

Looks great! What kind of monitor are you using?

It’s a KV-27FS320, just a consumer set. I’ll take that as a compliment though!

1 Like

Yeah, it really looks excellent. I’d be happy with that set up!

Looks awesome, great job on doing the mod!

That palm tree looks sharp as a diamond. Your consumer set looks like a professional monitor, so if that’s the look you’re going for, I’d say you’ve achieved it!

I’d say it’s about 500-600 lines or so if I had to guess. Definitely in pro-monitor category. But not so sharp like my PVM 20L5 so as to look overly clinical at times.

His set has a nice balance of sharpness without it ruining the old school look.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Only problem is that the set is now starting to get tired, and it’s beginning to push inwards on the left side, and the convergence is going in the top left corner. Not sure if I have the chops to fix it or not.

I have a backup 27FS120 that I can use, but I really like the look of the case on this one. :frowning:

The 72-pin soup (slot repair trick) really works!

Just wanted to update this to give Tim Worthington some credit. I contacted him about the issue with the port or cable, and he responded immediately and said he has had reports about the cables. He said he would ship a replacement out.

It came in the mail from Australia to Canada in roughly 4 days, and he included a replacement port and two cables.

Amazing service!

3 Likes

Wasn’t sure if this short article warranted a separate thread, but feels at home here. If you’re into video game history, you might enjoy a few more details and some uncovered footage of the never released Terminator Sunsoft game. Eventually they changed it up and released it without the license, but interesting to see what might have been.

https://www.gamingalexandria.com/wp/2019/07/07/terminator-why-so-silius/

Oh, and obligatory link to some of the best music ever composed for the NES :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkWYvENgxwA

2 Likes

That announcer was so hyped. I don’t really think the graphics stand out in a positive light THAT much. They’re pretty standard NES graphics from what I’m seeing.

Oh totally. I saw it as a sales pitch to get the game approved and funded. I guess it was seen as an effective approach for an audience that might not be very game-savvy? Feels completely dated by today’s standards… Although maybe someone will dig up failed kickstarters 30 years from now and get a similar chuckle.

Journey to Silius looks great. Never knew anything about it.

That game is awesome, I love it!

1 Like

I’m looking to sell my Hidefnes AV Famicom which was a NIB unit that was installed and recapped by a Gametech.us approved installer, how much do you guys think its worth?

It comes complete in box and one of the controllers has never been used. I’m selling it to fund the purchase of another AV Famicom to have RGB modded as I want to use the console with a CRT.

1 Like

Depending on the quality of the console shell its self I’d say $300 - $400 is reasonable. $150 for the Hi-Def Kit, $50-100 for the console its self, plus the mod service its self that you initially paid for. Since kits aren’t currently available you may be able to charge a small premium too.

I’m personally trying to start doing mods for folks and have done a NES RGB kit before including palette set firmware updating. If you are interested in having some mod work done please let me know.

1 Like

Thanks for your response!.

I’m in the process of getting it all listed, I’ll probably include my Everdrive N8 as I’ll be getting the Pro down the line once its released. I appreciate your offer of modding but I’m located in Australia and have already discussed prices with one of Tim’s approved modders locally.

I’ll put it up on eBay but I’m not confident I’ll get that many bites as I won’t be posting it internationally as too much can go wrong.

1 Like

Finally finished up my NESRGB mod. After the trouble I had with the 3.5mm component adapter, I decided to look for a solution to put real ports on the back of the console.

I begun looking for them online, but to get them in the right colours (red/green/blue + red/white) it was going to cost me upwards of $50 for them, which is ridiculous.

I ended up finding a $10 DVD player at a thrift store, and used the ports from that instead.

After spending some time cutting up the DVD player, de-soldering the ports, then soldering them into my NES, I tested it all out, and it worked great! I carefully measured and shoved aside my nerves and drilled a bunch of holes in the case of the NES.

I have an additional hole that has an RGB plug, and also has an additional screw hole so I can use it with s-video (currently tucked inside the case, as I don’t really intend to use it).

The palette switch is also tucked inside, as I don’t ever plan on changing it. I have it on “natural” and find it looks by far the best that way.

Some pics:

Palette switch

S-Video

Ports from the outside

Ports from the inside

All buttoned up!

10 Likes

That looks awesome, well done man.

1 Like

That looks great!

1 Like