PlayStation Portable |OT| EVERYWHERE JUST GOT BETTER!

Oh right, for some reason I thought the PSP never reached 333Mhz in official software licensed by Sony, didn’t realise there are quite a few (late) PSP games which were allowed to hit that clock speed, which I presume includes PS1 emulation. Thought the max was always 222Mhz unless you used custom firmware.

1 Like

I am playing Suikoden for the first time (well, the second time after Pahn lost that duel and I saved too far ahead). I never played it on my playstation, so now its on the PSP.

I was all excited to ride into work on the train with it, as I grind to get bits to sharpen weapons. Five minutes into the ride, the battery icon flashed, and it powers off.

I think I might have underestimated how much I played it this past weekend. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

PSP is so good for PlayStation games. Been meaning to pick up on Panekit again - grabbed it off PSN a while back but I must have been distracted by some other portable games at the time.

It’s the reason I bought a PSP again. There just isn’t much in the normal library that gets me excited on PSP, but playing all those PSX classics portable is definitely worthwhile.

1 Like

I’m at the final Island in Panekit and have just exported my save game to continue away from my PS2.

Bumping for some advice. I have a chance to buy a very nice looking blue PSP-3000 from local Facebook. It’s barely used according to the seller and it sure looks that way in the pics, too. I already have a Vita, which I honestly haven’t touched in years, and I still have my PS3 hooked up in my living room for my digital PS1 games (and more).

It looks like a good buy but … any real reason to get this? There’s only a few digital PSP games that don’t work on Vita and a few UMD games that never released digitally, right?

Feels like I just want to buy it because it’s a good condition/buy … and I’m trying to leave those collector impulses behind…

In my opinion a hacked PSP is very much worth it as you can play all your games without having to use the UMD.

That said of you don’t see yourself using it don’t buy it.

Yeah I can’t hack anything.

My original psp is worth keeping around for R-Type Command and the Metal Gear Acid games. If you’re into turn based strategy and card battle games, I’d recommend them, since they’re not available digitally.

1 Like

I like the dpad on the PSP-3000 more than the Vita one. PSP games also tend to look nicer on that screen than on the Vita due to the 1:1 pixel map.

Personally I like that handhelds are so small that even if I end up with a bunch of them they don’t take up a lot of space. And if this PSP is cheap too that’s even better.

@GraveyardDuck I quite enjoy turn-based strategy and I have always been intrigued by the MG Acid games. I hear they’re quite fun.

@poptart Yeah, I agree. It’s not a big deal to have a few handhelds. They are small and store easily. You don’t have to hook anything up…

Some pics. $65…
(Have not purchased - look worth it?)

3 Likes

Hacking PSP is very easy and basically essential. Ripping the games with the PSP and playing from memory card reduces load times a lot and takes away the massive noise the UMD drive keeps when playing.

I have that same color and model and it is lovely.

I love the blue.

After ripping your UMDs to memory stick you can switch off the UMD drive and extend run time on a single charge!

The PSP-3000 D-Pad is Sony’s best ‘mushy’ D-Pad for sure. Massive improvement on the horrible PSP-1000 D-Pad and it’s better than the DualShock 4 one!

Funny that you mention the native resolution - here’s an excuse to share those Tactics Ogre screenshot comparisons I took: SCANLINE SCREENSHOT THREAD. BECAUSE 240p IS ALL THE P'S I NEED. (56k warning) - #548 by harborline_765

Definitely. I picked up a new one three and a half years ago which had been sitting in a warehouse for ages (the battery had swollen) and I love it.

I would definitely pick that up for $65 imo. They are better for the PSP library than the Vita, and that’s a great deal.

Something about hacking that often seems to be an issue for me is I’m on Mac and I don’t mess with any parallel Windows boot stuff.

Hacking a psp these days is trivial. All you do is download a file to the memory card and run it on the vita.

Looking for a fun arcade style racer on handheld.

On DS I picked up Clash King v201 and Bokusou Dekotora Black Densetsu but there’s a couple of PSP games I haven’t tried which might be good?

What does everyone think of these two games from BigBig Studio: Pursuit Force 2 and Motorstorm Artic Edge? I remember playing the first Pursuit Force in the European PSP launch window but I never wanted to return to it again since given how hard and exacting the final levels were. But for some reason I have this recent nostalgia for it…