Recommend similar games: Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance

I’m about halfway through this game on Xbox and have remembered how much I love this kind of game. I used to be way into Champions of Norrath as well. There’s something just really satisfying about this kind of hack & slash action.

Obviously there’s the sequel and Norrath’s sequel, and I know like Diablo 3 as well but is there anything else I should be aware of?

Prefer console games since I like using controllers. Handheld would also be cool.

There’s always Marvel Ultimate Alliance, X-Men Legends and Dungeon Seige on the PSP.

I had heard about Dungeon Siege back in the day but for some reason it totally passed me by and I apparently never thought about it again. I’ll have to take a look.

Diablo 1 on ps1 is fantastic. It’s slower paced then everything that came after diablo 2 though.

A couple games come to mind.

While not exactly top down I think Demon Stone on XBOX is fantastic. While it is less diablo but it is a solid in the same family style game. Hunter the Reckoning fits that bill too.

As far as diablo clones out there.

Titan Quest (just got a pc expansion & getting remastered for new consoles I hear)
Torchlight 1 and 2
Sacred Series
Obviously Diablo 3
Path of Exile

I can’t recall how many RPG elements were in them, but I remember having a lot of fun with the “Hunter: The Reckoning” series on PS2/GCN/Xbox. There was three of them “Reckoning”, “Wayward” and “Redeemer”. Great local multiplayer games.

Soma Bringer on DS. Amazing arpg loot game developed by Monolith Soft. It never came to the states but I imported it and applied a translation patch.

Staying on the Xbox, there is Blackstone: Magic and Steel, a top down action-RPG and one of the few JRPGs for the Xbox. It’s actually pretty good, fairly unique and exclusive to the Xbox. It’s fairly rare and starting to go up in price, but cost just a little more than the Baldur’s Gate series on the Xbox. It also supports 480p and widescreen.
Blackstone: Magic and Steel gameplay

Also on the Xbox is Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows. It’s more story driven, slower paced and has more RPG elements than the arcade Gauntlet titles, but is still hack and slash heavy. It also came out on the PS2, but the graphic effects on the Xbox are better and it also supports 480p and widescreen.
Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows gameplay

Heroes of Ruin is an option on 3DS. Very slight but fits the bill.

Barely retro, but I enjoyed Crimson Alliance on the XBOX360 (XBLA) quite a lot.

Justice League Heroes is cheap and has similar gameplay.