RGB High Score Battle! - Week 27 & 28: Shinobi

Bah… cannot beat this boss. Before the end of this competition, some friends and I are having a LAN and I’ll be taking my SMS over there to see how many of my buddies I can get to submit scores.

I dunno if the Mark III original is different, but spamming it with knives, worked for me.

1 Like

I might have to try that, but that would mean purposely dying on the stage before, so I can get knives by the boss.

Good point on the Mark III version, I’ll add that to the list of available versions on the page. I believe they are identical.

I don’t think I will have a chance to play on real hardware soon. Here’s my first try, emulated on my laptop using a PS3 Dual Shock:

SMS Shinobi is my favourite 8-bit game in its genre but I have never played for score before. I have never been good at the bonus rounds. Those generate a lot of points. Also, it might be a benefit to die and re-kill enemies. And there are a bunch of enemies I generally lure into pits because it’s safer. When playing for score, I should probably learn to attack them with weapons instead.

1 Like

Nice score! I noticed I was letting some enemies go too, that I should have killed.

It would be beneficial for sure to die and repeat certain parts, but I’m enjoying just playing to see how far I can get.

Is that score near the end of the game?

I can quite easily get to the Statues boss without dying and without missing enemies but I tend to purposely die a stage or two early so I have a powered up shuriken for the boss which makes it so much more easier than any other weapon for me.

Still without the magic from stage 2-2 bonus round I still just can not make that Stage 4-2 jump…

That score is from beating the game without dying but failing some bonus rounds.

How the heck did you beat the statue boss with the Gun weapon?

Just by mashing jump and attack close to the enemies, and backing up a little when it gets super close. You have to really make sure you don’t get hit as it kills too much time.

1 Like

Only managed that method with the knives before. With the powered up shuriken you can pretty much stand still and don’t have to move forward and beat it just in time.

Well got moving forward more with the gun weapon when fighting the statues down now and can get to 5-2 without dying.

5-2 is going to take me some time to get down. I ended up losing all but my final life here trying to make it through and then died on 5-3 as i started the level with zero health and never been this far before:

1 Like

5-2 IS bullshit. But excelent game, never played the SMS version before.

2 Likes

Finally got past the lame boss!

Damn, I was meaning to end this competition today, but it looks like I got the dates wrong in the original post. Do you guys want to end it now and start a new game, or should we keep this one going for another week?

I also have a score from the weekend from @dekethedog

I started getting stuck at the Mandara statue boss again for some reason, so used the level select code to practice it so could figure out what the heck I was doing wrong and back to being able to defeat it fine again.

Annoyingly had a really good run with no death up to 5-1 and then accidentally jumped down a hole when all i meant to do was jump over a projectile and then duck…

So sadly got owned at the end of the game as not been able to beat the end boss with just basic weapons.

Anyway my new high score:

I pretty much just reset if I don’t get the flying magic from 2-2 now as while I can make the 4-2 jump from time to time it really kills any momentum to lose your upgrades and then you end up with the awful grenades at a part of the game where they are really not viable.

I’m trying to use this as an excuse to finally beat this game!
Hopefully another week will do it!

Maybe alongside the RGB High Score Battle we could also have a “RGB Game of the Month” to all try to beat?

Okay fair, we’ll let it run to the 1st haha

Decided to have one final run before bed more focused at scoring and managed:

Sadly not a completion though :cry:

Also seemed to have noticed doing this gets me across the 4-2 pixel perfect jump with reliable results:

2 Likes

nice work!

My first try in MAME :sweat_smile: I dig the timing mechanics of this game.