Site is updated! Here’s our current week details:

WEEK 33 & 34
Game: R-Type
Platform(s): Sega Master System
Challenge Type: High Score
Game Details: Full Game
When: Mar 30th - Apr 12th, 2020
Chosen By: Suteneko

I’ve updated the website with the new game, let’s get to destroying the Bydo Empire!

Good luck everyone, please submit your scores via screenshot or video by replying directly to this post!

RULES

1. Competitions last two weeks, close on Sunday night @ midnight.
  2. Post screenshots in this thread as proof.
  3. The winner from the previous week chooses the next game to play.
  4. You cannot choose twice in a row. 2nd place will choose if someone wins two weeks in a row.
  5. If there’s a tie, the person that submitted the high score first gets to choose.
  6. Games must be high score compatible (think “arcade style scores” like Pac-Man, or Spy Hunter, not Super Mario).
  7. Emulation is okay (MAME is often the best for high scores).
  8. No save state manipulation (pausing to take a break is fine though).
  9. No score scumming - you must play the game normally.
  10. Submit scores as soon as you get them! To keep the competition rolling and fair, do not hold on until the last moment to submit.

Points will be awarded for the entrants, based on the position finished for the week. This is to encourage wider participation, and the points will be posted each week as well as on the website.

POSITION POINTS AWARDED
1st: 10 points
2nd: 7 points
3rd: 5 points
4th: 3 points
5th: 2 points
Any honest attempt: 1 point

Overall, we should keep it simple. This is just a good time, not a crazy official high score competition! Game plays should ideally be short and fun so people that can’t invest hours into this can still compete. Obviously we are working on a trust based system here, so don’t ruin it for the others!

Here’s a simple website I made to keep track of the competition.

2 Likes

I was never able to beat stage 4 of this as a child and gave it a fair few goes today and still stage 4 is usually where I start having problems.

Managed to get into the SMS special stage once whose main level seems easy enough but finding that boss has way too many projectile balls to easily dodge so died and got booted to mid point in stage 4 again and ended up losing my final life in stage 5 for my first score submission:

1 Like

Fits in nicely with my latest Battle of the Ports :grin::+1::+1:

1 Like

2 Likes

Did a pretty good run and found a safe spot for killing the boss at the end of the special stage so will go that route more often from now.

Shame everything went to pot in stage 7…
I really need to practice that somehow.

R-Type_SMS_352700

2 Likes

2 Likes

Been grinding this game for a couple of hours a day trying to figure out the game and going after a 1CC completion and finally I managed it while streaming/recording so the video will be posted below somewhere.

Sadly I died in loop 2 and as per is my bane in this game it was of course in the stage 12 (the harder equivalent of stage 4). The second loop is rather brutal and it seems I will need to modify some of my current strategies to counter the increased difficulty.

My new high-score is now: 642400

R-Type_SMS_642400

I had intended to get a blue orb spawned in stage 5 (second drop) after the super (SMS exclusive hidden) stage but appears I did not collect all the power ups in the correct order for that to happen so got stuck with the ground attack which is not too much of a big deal but can’t perform a quick kill on the stage 5 boss and leaves you briefly at a disadvantage at the start of stage 6.

Also a silly death meant I was not powered up fully for these stages so a couple of tricks I’ve been using could not be showed off that make stage 6/7 a little easier.

Didn’t think I’d get this far. Stage 4 I still really need to find a consistent way to overcome as it is my choke point.

2 Likes

Great run! Picked up a few pointers watching your playthrough. Now I know where to enter the secret bonus stage. For some reason I kept thinking it was at an earlier point in stage 4.

Congrats Suteneko, you win this week!

@Shinriji, you get to choose the game for the next battle

1 Like

Sonic 2

Emerald Hill Zone Act 1 speedrun

As @Suteneko pointed out, a tie should be common, so score is the tie breaker.

Don’t worry I didn’t forget about this. I’ll have it up for tomorrow, so we can start!

I had a crazy busy week and didn’t get time to do it.