RGB High Score Battle! - Week 31 & 32: Wings of Wor

I managed to beat the mid boss of stage 3 without dying once and collecting all 3 hidden 1up’s I know about thus far:

But of course went south at the Stage 3 end boss where I lost two lives…

Feeling like going in using the E weapon only to erase the dust particles is the way forward but trying to get a good sense for its hit box is taking a while.

So started Stage 4 with 6 Lives due to an extra life awarded from the score:

Even successfully get the two extra lives and a full set of Ground Weapons (GGG):

But then died a couple of times due to hitting walls. Really think having full speed here is a death sentence and maybe intentionally losing 1 life to slow down isn’t a bad idea. The mid boss downed easily enough and found another hidden “S” shield power up:

Getting past all the ground based enemies abusing the G weapon worked and wasn’t until the final set of sorcerers that I lost another life and got to the Stage 4 boss with 5 lives:

You only can attack his heart and his projectile patterns are something else to try to dodge…
Tried using 10 seconds of shield to go through the boss to attack the heart from the rear to see if a quick kill might be possible but that just ending up killing me, so probably not an option… although the boss died quickly afterwards so perhaps there might be something to doing that.

Started Stage 5 with 4 lives but severely powered down:

This stage seems to go enemy and bullet hell mad and died just after the mid boss:

Never managed to beat this stage as a kid and there is still one more after this.

1 Like

Improved a bit, made a couple dumb mistakes. I need to take a look above at he free lives because I need those lol.

2 Likes

Here’s where you want to aim for the stage 3 boss weak spot. I hit it hard when it first appears then I move up and away to dodge the dust particles.

1 Like

Scores on the page updated.

Did a recorded run that didn’t go so well as I messed up as usual on the Stage 3 boss and kind of lost my cool a bit too much in stage 4:

But oh well beat my old High-Score even though I didn’t beat the Stage 5 mid boss this time.

Score: 00921100

2 Likes

Still struggling a bit with the Stage 3 boss but almost have the Stage 4 end boss down now.

Sadly Stage 5 is really kicking my behind and even trying to practice it using the level select (Hold down A button when highlighting the control options) I just can not get much farther than just after beating the mid boss.

A new High-Score though:

2 Likes

Don’t mind me. I’m just here for the wild pixel art. That’s a world class looking game.

1 Like

Managed to get to Stage 5 with 7 lives left, which is my best so far and finally managed to reach the Stage 5 end boss for my first time ever with 2 lives remaining:

Nonetheless, this is also where I died pretty rapidly as even worse projectile patterns to learn to dodge here than the stage 4 boss.

Was really hoping I’d push to the Final Stage 6 with this run. I really need to get better at Stage 5.

2 Likes

Had a quick couple of recorded goes before needing to get ready to go into work this morning and finally made it into stage 6. Looks like you are re-fighting all the mid bosses at higher difficulty settings:

Made so many stupid mistakes like dying in stage 2 of all places from a stray bullet I had already dodged and then backed into… 2 deaths on the stage 3 boss and 3 deaths in stage 4…

Putting it mostly down to it being really hard to trying to suppress a cough while recording so not at my normal pace. Happy to upload the run if anyone wants to see it but would rather just give it a few more attempts after I get back from work later this evening.

Be nice to see how @raskulous @GraveyardDuck and @dubc are progressing.
Post up some new scores!

2 Likes

Charging my vita to try some highscores.

4 Likes

Made it to round 5 with 6 spare lives, ended up losing all of them midway through the stage. Dying in stage 5 is brutal when you respawn with a much weaker shot. Just need to practice it more. Game is really satisfying when you learn it.

1 Like

I’m not finding Stage 5 that difficult now and have several tactics I use depending on if I am powered up or not that seem to work fine. I just need to stop making stupid mistakes in earlier levels now.

Nice seeing we are mostly all around the same place in the learning curve for the game.

Edit Just got a better personal High-Score while live streaming on twitch:

Gynoug_High_Score_01286130

Made so many silly mistakes and had to make most of it up in stage 5…
May stream a couple more runs after grab something to eat.

2 Likes

Nice work, what’s the link to your stream?

Beat the game finally!

After the credits the game loops into a harder setting where I managed to get to the stage 3 boss of the second loop:

Also did this while recording it:

5 Likes

Wow, nice work! Scores updated.

Managed to beat the game again but ended up dying much earlier in the second loop.

I decided to use continues which resets your score (I really wish every game did this!) to just check out the differences in the second loop and barely managed to beat it using up almost all of the continues.

There however doesn’t appear to be any differences in the ending and I didn’t get a third loop.

Somehow (children) I haven’t had time to make some more attempts. I am hoping I can before the 29th.

Me too (Alien Isolation and children).

Small improvement. There is still a ton of room for more. I haven’t had time to play back to back sessions, which is where I think you can really get going on shooters.

3 Likes