RGB High Score Battle! - Week 7: Fantasy Zone II

that must have been good milking haha
I went up to stage 7 but the score doesn’t reflect it

Also is it just me or the big bombs are American-themed? Haha

I’ve added a separate section at the bottom of the leaderboards for this game labeled as (NP) for Non-Progress, and added your score there.

In interest of keeping this a fun competition, instead of a farming test, I think we should keep the main battle without farming enemies.

I still reached further than I had done previously so to say it was a non progress attempt is rubbish. I could have actually sat on stage three and milked forever but still wanted to move on and further power up etc. If anything the extra cash from the enemies enabled me to progress further than I would have likely done otherwise.

I agree, you can’t not milk in that game, especially as there are infinite waves and shops. I’ve had my fair share when I wanted an upgrade but was short on cash, but being otherwise done with the stage.

I’m okay with it either way, if you guys feel like it should be included in the regular scores, I’ll put it back.

Anyone else want to weigh in?

Given the nature of the game, it’s hard to set an arbitrary rule like that, which is what I was saying earlier in the thread. I think you just have to live with people doing whatever they want to get a high score now and leave it at that.

I think high score is high score, progress is irrelevant.

The infinite waves are there for a reason, it’s a fundamental part of the gameplay mechanic. If you don’t grind at some point then the game is basically getting as far as you can on a single life before it goes to shit as you no longer have the resources to do anything with your remaining ship stock.

So if I hadn’t have milked the first few stages then I would have had to do so on the later stages, which given the increase in difficulty makes no sense. And if I’m going to go for a 1cc which is absolutely possible then I HAVE to milk the enemy waves.

Okay thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. I’ll change it back later this afternoon. I agree that I think it’s best to keep simple rules, and let the scores do the talking. Especially when it’s something like this where it really can’t be policed entirely.

Something to consider when choosing a game in the future. Can it be manipulated? Are you okay with it being manipulated?

1 Like

Correct. I think that’s the crux of the choice made on which game to play. Try to find something where grinding isn’t a mechanic for score so we can avoid the question entirely.

I’ll still play this week. I have only ever dabbled with this game and never really understood the allure of this series. I turned on autofire and enjoyed it a lot more.

Is autofire an in game option?

Autofire is available from a few of the secret shops but isn’t a default option.

Right, died at the same stage, but I’m getting the hang of it. Doing a little reckon and knowing where the shops are and what they stock is key to be able to use any extra life, else the slow default speed kills you in seconds.

In the 3DS version, you can turn it on and even configure the buttons it’s on. I suppose it functions similarly to the way it would if you owned an autofire controller for your Master System?

Lol, where is the end of the first stage?

Edit: nvm found a tree boss me thinks

Nice, the tree boss can be a pain sometimes, if you get unlucky and have to squeeze through a tight gap.

Page updated with all current scores.

I made it to Zone 2 and then pushing down on my arcade stick stopped working. I have to redo the wiring on the quick disconnect. Hopefully I can get some time in this week but it is not looking good.

Okay, now I’m getting somewhere. Made it to the fifth stage. That dragon boss on stage 4 was a fight and a half. He’s really easy until you’ve almost killed him, then he starts shooting at you as well as breathing fireballs. Those shots are based on your position, not his, so you really have to start moving.

2 Likes

Is my ship supposed to be slower when moving up/down than it does when moving left/right?