SCANLINE SCREENSHOT THREAD. BECAUSE 240p IS ALL THE P'S I NEED. (56k warning)

Been playing Shock Troopers in my Neo cab tonight. What a cool looking game.

6 Likes

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow | DSi XL

8 Likes

Some PS2 hex edit shots:

Odin Sphere:

King of Fighters 98: Ultimate Match

Melty Blood: Actress Again

3 Likes

Looks like the 3DS in 2D mode but the dark lines are too thick, yeah.

Cross-posted from the N64 thread but I’m quite impressed with the composite video output on the system.

N64 Composite vs S-Video still shot comparison on the JVC TM-H140PN, NTSC-J grey N64:

Animal Crossing - composite

Animal Crossing - S-Video

Animal Crossing - composite

Animal Crossing - S-Video

Majora’s Mask - composite

Majora’s Mask - S-Video

Goemon 2 - composite

Goemon 2 - S-Video

Goemon 2 - composite

Goemon 2 - S-Video

Goemon 2 - composite

Goemon 2 - S-Video

Tsumi to Batsu - composite

Tsumi to Batsu - S-Video

In motion the image quality is even better with almost no visible artifacting - probably due to the comb filter?

5 Likes

Isn’t Batsugun just gorgeous?

4 Likes

Buncha random Super Mario 64 shots. Sony KV27v42, S-video

6 Likes

Got the GBS-Control recently and tried out the 15khz downscale feature. Some cool results. There were some misses like Axiom Verge that didn’t look noticeably different. It’s really interesting how some modern pixel art can translate seamlessly when “demastered” and others not so much. All shots from Nintendo Switch outputting 480p.

Sonic Mania:

Scott Pilgrim vs the World:

Azure Striker: Gunvolt:

Shovel Knight:

Mega Man 9 from the Anniversary Collection:

Doesn’t really scale properly. I’ve seen this mentioned before in this thread.

Celeste:

Axiom Verge:

Mega Man Zero from the Zero/ZX collection:

Hollow Knight:

10 Likes

I’m absolutely loving the way Darius looks on Megadrive.

9 Likes

(not my video)
He looks to be down scaling switch to some monitors.

Great footage

2 Likes

Gorgeous, the Mega Drive’s visuals really pop on a CRT. There’s a texture and warmth that is totally lost on a flat panel.

How about some 480p scanlines? Xbox 360 in a Dell Ultrascan P1110 (rebranded Sony trinitron) using VGA. Need to get an HDMI adapter to play modern games on this thing.

7 Likes

Played some NeoGeo yesterday, looks cool in the Sony Cube.

7 Likes

Just some goofing around on the 20L2. Playing through Super Metroid for the first time in at least a decade. As much as I enjoyed zero mission it doesn’t hold a candle to the design and atmosphere of super. There’s something about the way you feel like you’re fumbling around, or forging your own path and the game is still subtly guiding you.

Kirby’s Dream Land via SGB2 as a bonus.

5 Likes

I recently played Samus Returns, Zero Mission, Super, and then most of Fusion (still in the middle of that one but took a break for traveling) and yea, I agree.

Super Metroid is still one of the coolest video game experiences you can have once you really get into it. The sheer quality and quantity of secrets, rooms, whole areas to discover, and more plodding pace of the controls makes for a highly rewarding feeling of progression.

The placement of objects on the map is really artfully done. I love all of these 2d Metroid games that came after Super Metroid so much. Each is brilliant at what it accomplished. Even Fusion, the most linear game, is well executed with its challenging boss fights, tight design, and heavier narrative focus.

But Super still stands apart as the one that requires the most from its player, but also rewards them the most at the same time. It’s a once in a lifetime style game. Everything is just so perfectly spaced out and sensibly hidden. And the map is helpful without giving as much away as what came with subsequent entries.

Heck, Samus Returns with its scanning function made getting a 100% playthrough a rather trivial act.

I think Super handles things best. You get a completion percentage after your run and simply have no clue what other mysteries you’re missing in the game. If you avoid using a guide and playing the game too often, it keeps the intrigue of the game alive for decades.

4 Likes

Also just finished Super Metroid for the first time after a couple of unsuccessful tries, right after finishing Zero Mission (which was brilliant). I thought Zero Mission was better after I finished it, but finishing SM quickly dispelled that. It’s a class above. That atmosphere is unrivaled. That ending sequence had me on the edge of my seat. Tried scouring for every secret and still came away with just 73%. I had to stop myself from starting a new save immediately as I have quite a few games left to go in my Metroid marathon.

7 Likes

Great screens and thoughts on Super Metroid. I count myself lucky that I was able to play it on release in 1994. What a special experience.

4 Likes

I am back, and for now with PC Engine scanline goodness!
Setup:
Grundig GR2150 21" with native Scart RGB in,
ArcadeForge RGB Shifter
NEC PC Engine CoreGrafx II RGB modded.

9 Likes

That looks wonderful. I love how it looks a bit softer than you get when displaying RGB on something like a PVM. Very nice

1 Like

Demons Of Asteborg demo | MiSTer Genesis core | PVM-14L2

9 Likes