SCANLINE SCREENSHOT THREAD. BECAUSE 240p IS ALL THE P'S I NEED. (56k warning)

One of the rare occasions I can say I like the PS1 version of a 2D game over the Saturn version…and I want to say it’s because of dithering, but I don’t see any obvious patterns like on other PS1 games, but it just pops in a way the Saturn version doesn’t

3 Likes

Do you think Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on Saturn is better than PSX?

No, unfortunately it has slowdown (especially when used with a memory cart I’ve recently found, could be wrong though) and some weird scaling issues, but worst of all, the menu takes a good second to come up and go away which makes gameplay even choppier. It’s definitely not game breaking and it’s a good play through for the extra features at least once. There’s also an undub hack for the PSX which is probably the definitive version I’d say.

2 Likes

I should mod my PlayStation and give that a go. I’d love to hear the Japanese voices

1 Like

From @crt_bot2 on Twitter:

8 Likes

Actually, I’ve come across a new hack today that greatly improves the performance and has a lot of quality of life features, bringing it closer to the PSX version. Only problem is it isn’t translated (mostly). The pause menu transitions are shorter (even more so if you have the 4MB cart) and there are full transparencies now. I’ve yet to test it, unfortunately I’ve just run out of CD-R’s today, but this is promising. Hopefully this can be combined with the translation patch in the future for the ultimate version.

1 Like

Longshot but does anybody know of a phone model (or app?) that lets you adjust the ‘shutter speed’ to allow for oddball speeds like 1/59, 1/61 etc?

Halide camera app on iOS has manual shutter speed control.

1 Like

Ooh nice, I’ll have to look into trying this. Thanks for the suggestion!

Is that happy cake day for you?

1 Like

Oh it’s the anniversary of the day I joined

I was playing Flower Sun and Rain yesterday. What a gorgeous ugly game. PS2 RGB - PVM 14M4U.

3 Likes

After months of searching, I finally got my hands on a 27" D-Series! Larger models pop up semi-frequently in my area, but I specifically wanted something smaller (and lighter). I got it from a fellow retro gamer, and it was refurbished by a previous owner (which I assume means a recap in some capacity.

It’s a JVC AV-27D201. Colour is amazing, as expected from a D-Series, and it’s a huge step up in sharpness/geometry/convergence compared to the 20" Toshiba 20AF44C it’s replacing. It’ll sit nicely with my PVM and incoming Commodore 1702 to round out my CRT set up.

Some shots:

The obligatory geometry shot:

Some games:

13 Likes

Awesome! I’m hoping to join the D-Series gang soon as well.

2 Likes

Looks perfect

2 Likes

Absolutely stunning.

I’d love a D-Series but as far as I can see I don’t think they made it out here in Australia.

I’m not familiar with the models in Australia, but here in Canada there are a bunch of different models with this chassis style.

41CP6CSBGVL._AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_ML2

Within that line of models there are some that share the same tube as the D-series, and they also have component video.

Not much help, I realize, but this information will hopefully help you find a nice JVC with component and a good tube at least

4 Likes

I always assumed the ones that looked like that capped out at s-video. Interesting.

Yup me too until I saw a couple for sale locally. If I was smart I would’ve wrote down the model numbers.

1 Like

I installed a new battery in my mega CD so I thought it was finally time to get back to Sonic CD.

It is so visually stunning, but oh man does it ever lag on real hardware.

5 Likes