SCANLINE SCREENSHOT THREAD. BECAUSE 240p IS ALL THE P'S I NEED. (56k warning)

Yeah the tube is still so punchy despite this monitor no doubt having some serious hours on it.

That being said, I tinkered with it for weeks before I got things dialled in to where I wanted them (originally the brightness was set so high it was seriously washing the colours out).

1 Like

Is Sega CD region free? I assumed it wasn’t due to different bios firmware. I’d love to try this game with the OG music someday.

No sadly they’re not. But there are several workarounds:

• Burn a backup copy and change the region
  • Use a flashcart like the Mega Everdrive to load another region bios file
  • Lastly, install a region free bios chip.
1 Like

going through Donkey Kong Country 2 and it really is a gorgeous game

7 Likes

Just some goofing around on the 20L2

6 Likes

CvS2 (PS2) - Consumer Trinitron 14"

Having fun with burst mode option

6 Likes

Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown (360) - Consumer Trinitron 21"

Downscaled to 240p from 480p, genuinely surprised at how playable/good this looks. Interestingly, if the 360 is set to 4:3/Standard it will add borders to keep the aspect ratio but if you choose widescreen and then use your CRT’s widescreen mode it will appear to be using a different crop with the characters being closer to the camera. SF4 also does something similar although it has a true 4:3 mode, the widescreen mode is much closer cropped and looks a bit better imo.

2 Likes

I noticed this with SF4. It appears to be 4:3, but everything is a lot smaller/zoomed out. even still, it looks very nice in 480i through component (also zero display lag!)

2 Likes

downscaled? looks really good. think I might start playing the PS2 version as it’s easier to downscale (I’ll try hex editing first). my Dreamcast seems to completely lack the green color channel when using VGA or SCART (thankfully S-video is fine)

1 Like

Sadly CvS2 can’t be hex edited : ( same with MvC2, got to downscale for those. I hex edited a few games, NG: Battle Coliseum, Hokuto, and GGXXA+ and they look great!

Ooh nice, I should check out 480i with SF4, maybe it’ll look better than 4:3@240p

Damn, do you think the green pin is damaged then?

1 Like

ah bummer. does it support 480p at least? much easier to downscale than 480i. GGXX looks amazing agreed, as does Garou (and all the KOFs really) and some sleepers, the 2 Melty Blood games!

possibly. who knows if I might have damaged something when adding games to the MODE. I’ll need to do that again soon so I’ll check it out. unfortunately DC’s seem to be rising in price. console only listings seem to go for more than what I got for the system + 2 controllers/VMU’s and a bunch of games just 2 years ago

1 Like

No 480p, got to go with DC version. I will check out the Melty games, don’t think I saw it on the hex list! I tried Garou but it didn’t seem to have worked, same with Metal Slug 6 (admittedly a random forum post said 6 could be hex’d) and Metal Slug Anthology, maybe I picked the wrong versions. Looking forward to checking out KoFs with the 3D backgrounds, I imported the Japanese versions since they support 480p for downscaling but with the hex edit I won’t need that!

DC going up, oh no, I think I need to grab a ‘broken’ machine for the PSU, I guess it’s inevitable, it’s hit all the other machines from that gen

1 Like

I’ve done the Metal Slug Anthology and that works superbly. there are a lot of games that aren’t really listed but actually work. my favourite from a visual perspective is probably Odin’s Sphere. I don’t know why that never was in 240p to begin with. same with Eternal Poison, a sRPG

the Darkstalkers collection for example works, but you need to boot directly into OPL and skip the boot screen for it to work or some other weird workaround lol. unfortunately the same doesn’t work for the Alpha Anthology, though it could just be a mistake I made in the hex edit

1 Like

I actually got Alpha Anthology to work, same cold boot method as Vamp collection although I think on both the scaling is off on one of the axis.

Yeah got to be me messing it up lol which region of MS Anthology did you use? I think I tried the JPN one, not sure if the others come with MSlug 6

I tried SvC: Chaos as the description said ‘messed up top of the screen’ and I thought it was like one or two lines near the health bar but it’s almost a 1/3rd of the top, not worth trying

1 Like

yeah SVC Chaos is pretty much unplayable. it looks really good downscaled, even from 480i

Darkstalkers was so hard to tell if it was even 240p, the scaling was definitely off. could barely see scanlines

pretty sure I used the US version of the MS Anthology. isn’t MS6 on there? probably why I don’t have that one. I do have the Atomiswave port on the DC though and it’s pretty cool

1 Like

Wii RGB SCART arrived the other week, finally got to test it out! I also played a little with deflicker off with 480i content, boy is it sharp but for 480i content on a CRT deflicker on looks fine, not at all as intrusive as it is on 480p. My 4:3 Sony CRT has one of those widescreen modes where it corrects the aspect ratio, interestingly when you do this the interlace flicker is greatly reduced, it’s a cool bonus. I made sure to use the trick Peltz mentioned about letting the CRT do the aspect ratio correcting vs the Wii doing it. NSMB as a result looks amazing.

Thought it would be fun to see how 240p destroys that floor texture:

5 Likes

I was wondering about the 16:9 modes. what does it do exactly? anamorphically squish to 4:3? that would be great actually for games like DKCR and NSMB that just don’t seem to cooperate with 4:3 cheat codes

I found a setting in the service menu for my D-Series and it didn’t do anything weirdly enough

2 Likes

Yeah pretty much that, it will use the full resolution rather than artificially adding black bars top and bottom.

Awesome, hope you can get it working on your D-Series! Would be nice to hear what you think of interlace flicker when it’s ‘squished’.

2 Likes

God that 480i looks so good

4 Likes

I checked out Tales of Symphonia via 480i and 480p, seems you can force the deflicker filter onto the 480p output with Nintendont, which helps with the low-sample DoF effect. I can see why you prefer the 480i output, poptart, it’s got a very cohesive look on a consumer set. The game has beautiful backgrounds and painterly textures, I should really get around to playing it

3 Likes