SCANLINE SCREENSHOT THREAD. BECAUSE 240p IS ALL THE P'S I NEED. (56k warning)

Scanlines for the people!

Gokujou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack - Model 1 Japanese Sega Saturn with Sega Saturn PAL/NTSC SCART - Sony 14L5 PVM

Koudelka - Model SCPH-5501 PSX with XStation ODE and PS1 CSYNC SCART WITH GUNCON PORT - Sony 20L5 PVM

Super Metroid - Chip 02 SNES with Borti’s RGB Bypass Board and NTSC CSNYC 470Ω SCART - Sony 20L5 PVM

9 Likes

managed to beat Castlevania 3. the Dracula fight is a lot easier than the one in CV1

On to Super Castlevania IV

9 Likes

I see that CV3 ends on a cliffhanger…

Great shot!

3 Likes

I don’t know if it’s a product of the translation hack, but it includes a nice excerpt about Alucard and defeating his father

1 Like

in my play through of the Castlevania series I’ve been running 1 classic CV game and one “Igavania”. after finishing Symphony of the Night (I’ll need to post my shots here one day, it’s easily become one of my favorite games ever), I’ve moved on to Circle of the Moon

played the game with a perma-dash hack because constantly double tapping the d-pad gets really old. with that on, the movement is actually surprisingly fluid. having since moved on to Harmony of Dissonance, it feels very stiff in comparison

love the difficulty, perfect middle ground between the classic games and the Igavania style. that Battle Arena is no joke. I had to grind quite a bit for armor and potions as well as just my general level. the drop rates are actually kind of ridiculous for some items (like 0.3% for some, with the luck stat maxed out you can get it to like 3%)

all in all, really enjoyed it. looking forward to sinking my teeth into Harmony of Dissonance

Hugh:

Dracula:

Fin:

7 Likes

Some goofing around on the MiSTer. I’ve never played Rondo of blood, and last year I gave up on getting a CDROM2 working with my PCE after the entire optical assembly crumbled to dust in my hands - so I decided to stop being such a weirdo purist and just start the game!

Running via HD-15 to BNC RGB from the analog board into a Sony PVM 20L2.

7 Likes

you’re in for a treat, it’s the best Classicvania imo. I can’t wait to play it on the Mister when I get to it in my current marathon. I’ve only played it on Wii Retroarch which wasn’t a great experience tbh

2 Likes

Some N64 shots upscaled to 2K on a 4K display.

6 Likes

Hybrid Heaven has always been mysterious as fuck to me. Wrestling moves in an RPG? I need to go watch a let’s play.

2 Likes

Amazing.

I don’t think the N64 gets enough credit for stable high quality 3D on a home console. It’s a great looking system via svideo or RGB.

3 Likes

Played some TwinBee Yahhoo tonight, here are some pics. I think I have posted similar photos before on different PVMs, this is play on a 29 inch Nanao monitor in my Capcom Impress cabinet.

7 Likes

Are they composite video images? There seems to be dot crawl and ghosting present.

Nope, arcade monitor which is RGB. This one’s chassis needs a recap though, image is indeed a bit dirty but fine for gameplay, just some perhaps not so minor convergence issues.

Most arcade monitors have been run through and in rough shape, and maintenance is a pain. Looking to invest into Superguns to play on my PVMs for when I need better picture quality.

1 Like

Ah, that would explain the less than stellar image.
I’m sure if they get recapped and calibrated they’d look fantastic.

Indeed, expected wear and tear given the abuse these things have taken over the years. Also, arcade monitors weren´t exactly top display tecnology even back in the day, they did the job but never really in the same leaugue than profesional broadcast or production monitors.

Most arcades I have seen in Japan have their CRT monitors on similar conditions, notable exceptions I found HEY, Mikado, and perhaps Amano Game Museum (which takes extra care of games and only turns on cabinets when playing, though perhaps repeat powering cycles could be worse for longevity).

Since I have messed up a Nanao chassis trying to get it perfect before, I have stopped striving for perfection on my cabs, hell on any analog display. Good enough is good enough for me. Won´t even touch a chassis unless they dysfunction completely out of fear I make it worse.

Here are some pics from Twitter and personal ones from arcades in location in Japan that display similar convergence and ghosting issues. I´ve seen some terrible examples with wrong color calibration, burn in, and bad geometry too, I guess operators don´t care either lol.

6 Likes

Yeah, that is true that some arcades have pretty poor monitors. I’ve seen some really wonky ones in my time but they tend to be in independent arcades. The Namco, Sega and Taito places are normally quite good at keeping their arcades monitors in nice shape.
About 15 years ago I had my own Astro City which was fantastic. Pin sharp with great geometry. Sadly the missus made me sell it as it took up too much space in her eyes.
It’s very sad because it only cost me 30,000 yen. These days they cost way more, like 4 times as much.

2 Likes

I’ve seen some Sega cabinets listed on Yahoo for about 50-60K JPY recently offered for local pickups, mostly Net City or New Net cabs. But I wouldn’t put that kind of money given how tight space is there, much rather have a supergun and a quality consumer CRT.

Haven’t been to Japan since 2020, but by then even some venues by Taito and Sega had some bad examples of what we were talking about, though thankfully not many that I can remember.

finished Harmony of Dissonance. good game, but really pales in comparison to Circle of the Moon imo. fun movement and combat but very tedious middle third of the game with some obtuse backtracking. also trying a little to hard to by Symphony of the Night imo

Mister GBA core, saturation 50%:

Vlad:

7 Likes

Some Framemeister shots of Star Parodier on my RGB modded Duo:

5 Likes

8 Likes