SCANLINE SCREENSHOT THREAD. BECAUSE 240p IS ALL THE P'S I NEED. (56k warning)

I am funny in that way, I really love ports, BC, & remasters (if well done). I am always looking for an excuse to retire 3D consoles. It mostly applies to the PS2/DC/XBOX/GC and beyond. I am loving that the X has really good BC for the original Xbox and 360. I just have no desire to take those consoles out anymore. PS2 & GameCube are a bit different but even Dreamcast has a lot of decent ports out there.

It applies to the PS1/N64 generation to some extent too. I can’t think of a Single N64 game I that had a 3DS port that I would rather play on the N64. I really wish they updated Super Mario 64 DS for the 3DS so it had wide screen & analog support.

Like you said, its a case by case basis. But for me the biggest issue are the camera controls. I have purged down is up and left is right from my brain. It takes forever for me to re-adjust to that. Oddly, I never have the issue using the shoulder buttons for the camera but the minute the analog stick has me going the wrong direction, I just wince a bit and eventually i will tire of it and probably put it down. I could never play Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 because of the Camera. I believe they fixed it for the PS3 port but it wasn’t until the PS4 that I actually enjoyed playing the game. I thought everything else around the game was amazing, I just didn’t like playing it.

Edit: PS3 had a lot of PS2 ports that had adjustable cameras. I think I played the Jak & Dax collection on PS3 and its a much better experience than the PS2 and the PS4 ports. That is the only “old 3d console” i still keep hooked up. I don’t know why but I think the Gamecube (and Wii) hold up much better than the PS2 and other consoles from that gen.

1 Like

Was about to say Mario 64, but then you said the exact why I feel that way as well; the controls.

But yeah I’m with you generally. I like remakes/remasters. If not botched or downgraded in an important way (such as Mario 64) of course, but I think that goes without saying.

Some Cursed Castilla pics

Love this game.

5 Likes

Cross post of my recent Duo - R pick up.

8 Likes

Been putting in a lot of progress lately. Checking Majora’s Mask and Spyro The Dragon off the backlog. Now to get through Super Mario Sunshine.

5 Likes

Was having a go on my Super Nintendo couple of weeks ago and took these shots :slight_smile:

mario
mario2

2 Likes

Testing my new CRT (Posted a few more pics in the Pickup thread)… Castlevania via Wii Virtual Consoles (Component, 240p):

IMG_0719

7 Likes

Was just playing some Saturn Soukyugurentai, thought I’d share some pics.

4 Likes

5 Likes

People always adjust the masking and or resize the picture to remove the garbage at the bottom of the screen but I kinda like it so never do. That shot looks great.

2 Likes

Me too, I usually leave it.

I just leave it due to laziness.

Tried out my N64 with the OSSC for the first time. Love the results but it seems a little dark with scanlines enabled. Scanlines disabled and brightness is normal. Kinda like the dark tint. Gives most n64 games a nice moody feel.

1 Like

So I bought a cheap VGA scanliner for my Pentium 100 DOS rig. Mode 13H games in VGA render at 320x200 but double scan to 320x400. The scanliner darkens every other line; can completely black out every other line if you adjust the trim pots but this is what it looks like at default.

Shitty phone photos, just wanted to do a quick share.

1 Like

What causes the double scan? Is that at the frame buffer level? Kind of odd that the VGA monitor can’t display the low res without doubling. I’ve never really played these types of games though so have no idea how they’re supposed to look.

VGA monitors are 31khz instead of 15khz. That’s why games that are 200p in CGA are double scanned to 400p in VGA.

Using the scanliner approximates the geometry of the CGA versions of these games while retaining the 256 colors of VGA.

Saw this awesome video from Modern Vintage Gamer about filming CRT Screens

5 Likes

I have the same phone as that person but i couldn’t get CRTs to behave with my phone. I should try another app. His app was a little generic. I wish he provided the link because the app that i found (with the same name) didn’t look or operate like the one he showed.

Edit:

From the youtube chat

“For those wondering, the specific Android app he’s using seems to be “Manual Camera : DSLR Camera HD Professional”, android app ID “com.pixelatte.dslr.camera.professional”. There are a ton of “DSLR Camera” named apps, so it’s useful to have the exact name.”

What camera is everyone using. I notice all my pictures look really bad in comparison. I’ve been wanting to get a dedicated camera anyway.

I just use my iphone and take a lot of pictures. Eventually there’s a good one.