Sega CD/Mega CD |OT| "What are you waiting for, Nintendo to make one?!"

…and yet you’re @apathetic. :smiley:

Stacks of CDs/DVDs is pretty ridiculous too TBH.

Hey. I see my thread lives on!

Still think Sonic CD’s the best of the Sonic’s.

@Dark1x just put up a fantastic video on it incase you haven’t seen it

Do you have a link to that?

Ok I want one,is there anything I should know before buying one? Any mods,etc? I dont think I’ve ever seen one of these in person,all my friends were Nintendo kids.

1 Like

A Sega CD? Got to decide which one you want and which Genesis/Mega Drive you will have connected to it. A model 2 Genesis looks odd as fuck on a Model 1 CD for instance, and you would want to make sure you are getting the extention panel for a model 2 CD if you are using it with a model 1 Genesis (as I am).

Model 1 CDs looks cool but have extra mechanical parts that can fail easier. There isn’t any downside to either that I know of other then that. The overall video and audio quality is still more reliant on the Genesis model you are using with it. Only must have that I would suggest is a “Duo” power supply that uses one plug to power both the CD and Genesis.

Thanks for the link. I will give this a watch.

Better than Mania?

I’d vouch for the sega CDX. Latest bios, faster loading times, compact design and the same lens that the 3DO, more reliable than the model 1 or 2. Also, it came with several games (including the godlike Sonic CD).

1 Like

Agreed with the above. It’s pricey, but CDX is what I play on and I love it.

Mania is definitely the best Sonic game. They basically took everything great from previous Sonic’s and added alot more frames of animation. It’s such a joy to play.

1 Like

I’ve had two of the big Sega CDs die on my already for various reasons and was wondering if there was a consensus on which models are best/most reliable for US machines? I was looking towards CDX as a replacement but I’m not sure if it has any drive issues or anything that should make me look for certain models. I miss my sega cd :frowning:

Model one is supposed to be less reliable than model 2. But they’re all really old at this point and lasers aren’t built to last forever. It’s all a crapshoot if I had to guess.

Yeah, that’s kind of what I was afraid of. I know playstations had a lot of laser/disk issues so I figured it might be similar for the Sega CD too. Maybe I’ll just look at prices of broken Model 1s to harvest parts and attempt to fix the ones I have.

i know saturn, DC & turbo essentially got replacements, has there been a good one for Sega CD yet? would hate to see that library lost to the ages

As far as I know there hasn’t been one yet. There’s technical reasons why GDEmu hasn’t looked into it yet.

Fortunately, the parts in both models of the Sega CD are pretty easy to replace so we still have some time before we need to worry.

1 Like

Too bad some models are hard to mess with. Every shop that fixes games that I went are afraid to fix my Sega CDX.

1 Like

Model 2 is the most reliable. The most likely thing to go wrong on them is the fuse. I’ve had to replace the fuse on two of my Sega CD model 2s and both work great now.

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?22027-Sega-CD-systems-repair-thread

Also note how similar the drive for a Sega CD model 2 is to a Saturn.They even share a replacement laser lens:

Sega CD2:

1. Samsung SOH-T4 can be replaced with modern: Samsung SOH90-T4N
  2. JVC OPTIMA-6 can be replaced with Optima-6S and (Optima-150: This is not confirmed to work yet, but apparently it is pin compatible.)
  3. Sony KSS-240A

Saturn :

1. JVC OPTIMA-7
  2. JVC OPTIMA-6
2 Likes

any chance we’ll get an SD loader for Sega CD?