Sega CD/Mega CD |OT| "What are you waiting for, Nintendo to make one?!"

I would like to think so. The Sega CD isn’t just a pass through like the Jag CD so it’s going to take some time. I’ve heard rumors that Terra Onion was working on one but it’s just rumors at this point.

Sweet, I’ll take a look. Really appreciate all the info!

Peltz with the prophecy.

With Sega CD game prices how they are, I am so glad to see this even if I’m not that interested without more info and tests.

1 Like

any chance Sega will re-release Panzer Dragoon Saga in the west?

(let’s see if this works :crossed_fingers:)

3 Likes

cries

1 Like

Hahaha…

1 Like

Just popping into the OT here to share that I was briefly entertaining the idea of of picking up a Model 1 unit and the small number of Sega CD games that I am interested in. Made a quick spreadsheet and started checking prices…sweet merciful crap, the market is brutal. :dizzy_face:

For a model 1 (that will likely have problems) + 11 games it was gonna run me ~$2500. Absurd.

The MegaSD is looking like my only reasonable option at this point to play things on original hardware/CRT.

Been a few years now but a model 2 and a stack of cd-rs was about $60 all in.

1 Like

Yeah, I missed the boat completely. My Nintendo and Sony collections were started organically when the systems were new, but I ignored Sega completely until ~ 2001 when I snagged a new Dreamcast on deep discount. I was always really curious about the CD games on Sega (and TG16) but didn’t seize the moment back when it was all cheap (and I was single).

I suppose I shouldn’t even bother looking things up for the Saturn, eh? :crazy_face:

I lucked out and picked up a model 1 with a new laser and region free bios for $75.

I just bought a stack of TY discs and it’s been a blast playing the real deal on my PVM.

You may have heard it before but a lot of “broken” sega cds just need a fuse replaced. It’s a small part and requires a steady hand + some soldering experience but that’s how I got mine for so cheap.

I wouldn’t spend so much on a “doesn’t turn on” system but if you can find a good price it might be worth trying a repair.

Personally I really like the real hardware aspect even with a bootleg CD game – the physicality of it coupled with sorta time traveling to the era when CDs were new and novel high technology is great.

2 Likes

That’s the reason I sought out a Model 1. I just love the physicality of the system. The blinking access lights - the large slow tray. The drive sounds, it’s just a beautiful piece of hardware.

It also looks super cool.

Yeah, feel the same way. I’ll keep my eye out for a broken one. I love tinkering around with electronics anyway.

1 Like

I had the opportunity to pick up a working MegaCD model 1 for £70 about 4 years ago and passed it over because I thought it wasn’t worth the cost.

Kind of kicking myself for that now as seeing broken systems selling for far more than that online these days…

2 Likes

I just got a JVC X’Eye. I’m super excited.

3 Likes

I nearly dropped $150 (AUD) on a broken one a few months before I was able to luck into a working model.

My advice would be if there are any retro gaming communities specific to your area join them - I just joined a few and put up some wanted posts and ended up making some friends in the process.

What price do you guys think I should be aiming for when looking for a broken/for-parts model 1? Seeing a few pop up in the ~$100 range, but still feels like an expensive gamble.

2 Likes

Most Sega CD issues aren’t too much trouble to fix but the Model 1 is going to be harder since i has more moving parts. If you’re not comfortable risking $100 I wouldn’t but whatever the issue is it should be fixable. If it were a Model 2, I’d say go for it. The only issues that pop up with them are pretty simple.

4 Likes

Got my old model 1 all updated! Full recap on everything but the disc drive. Full refurb on the power board. New drive belt. New save battery and holder, And a couple sweet new LEDs.

7 Likes

Nice work! The Mega CD is hella intimidating, I know, I opened one once.

What did the refurb on the power board entail?

1 Like