Sega Dreamcast |OT| It's Still Thinking

Interesting, I was sent a Japanese copy of Biohazard 2 Value Pack by accident (I ordered Tokyo Bus Guide on PS2) but it felt wasted as I only have a PAL DC. Is Biohazard 2 on DC worth playing over, say, the GC version? I’ve yet to play the original game(!)

There’s videos that break it down to the minute detail but from what I can remember off the top of my head:

RE2 on DC is based on the PC version and has 480p polys and backrounds. The GC is based on the ps1 version and has 480p polys but 240p backrounds that get a little blurred when scaling.

RE2 on DC has better quality FMV over the DC version.

RE2 on DC shows your ammo/hp on the VMU.

If you’re playing it on a modern TV I’d say the DC is the version to play. If you’re playing on a CRT the GC version forced to 240p is the way to go.

2 Likes

It’ll be a modern TV - thanks for the heads-up. I never did get that VGA cable though, as (at the time) I had finished playing all the DC games I wanted. Bet it looks bad through the included RF cable…

uhhhhhhhhhhhh Get a VGA cable!

Backgrounds on RE2 DC are for sure 240p. Source: I played it two years ago and the 480p character models stuck out like a sore thumb. Still my favourite way to play it though.

Having owned them all, you can’t go wrong with either the Gamecube or Dreamcast versions of RE2 and 3 tbh; I think it comes down to whatever platform you like most or have the best AV for.

Thanks. I can’t really justify getting a VGA cable until I have more lined up for the DC, and I’ve got the Wii component cable which I play GC games through.

I’m in no hurry to play Resi 2 at least - hence I’m already so late to the party! But I definitely want to play the original some time.

PS1 for RE2 for me. It was designed for the whole game to be in 240p, not a weird mix of 240p and 480p. DC and GC look busted to me.

1 Like

Put a scanline generator over it, you’ll thank me later.

I played it for the first time a few months ago and I went with the PS1 version. I wanted the original intended experience over a port

RGC’s DC SCART cable is up for pre-order:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sega/SEGA-DREAMCAST-RGB-SCART-CABLES/SEGA-DREAMCAST-RGB-SCART-CABLE-WITH-480P-MODE

1 Like

Interesting… I wonder how that will look on an SD CRT @ 576i. Would it overscan by 96 lines and not show a bunch of the image?

576i or 480p are the choices?

:frowning:

I imagine (and hope) that it would default to 480i or 240p depending on the game. Resolution is usually console/game dependent, not cable dependent.

Edit: Scratch that. I think it’s entirely software dependent on DC if I’m not mistaken. I’m betting that an NTSC game isn’t going to render at a PAL standard through this cable.

I think I’ll wait for a detailed review of this. Still some questions.

Not sure, those are the only two shown on the product page. I’m a little light on knowledge of how the DC video works.

RGC cable will pass through NTSC 480i/240p just fine, 576i is just listed because they’re coming from a PAL region. No word on whether they’ve brought down the RGB levels yet.

Retro Access’ SCART and BNC have been confirmed to attenuate the RGB from the DC (no more clipping/blowout)

Yes, RGB max levels are right at 700mv.

The CSYNC also has the serration pulses so it works on the BVM D & A series monitors that lack the vcr button in 480p mode.

Source: Citrus3000psi
Sounds like the serration pulse is a unique addition to these RA cables?

1 Like

Looking forward to Bob hopefully putting the RGC and Retro Access RGB cables through their paces.

In this episode of “I really hate my Dreamcast” -

I tried to turn it on after some months in storage, and the boot screen was really slow. According the internet, turns out that its probable that the GD -rom drive is busted, tried to replace and broke the lid sensor instead.

Fuck, I hate this system. Nothing but headaches.

I don’t know why but Dreamcast seems to be the most tempermental of all the systems I own other than Virtual Boy and PS1. I may actually grab one of those fancy shmancy SD card loaders instead.

I love authentic hardware, but it’s just not built to last as long as we want. Playing consoles for +20 years is probably outside the use-case for these manufacturers. I plan on living for another 60 years. There’s no way my Dreamcast laser will stick around until then :frowning:

Sometimes I genuinely wonder whether I should invest in some exhorbinantly priced factory sealed consoles on ebay.

1 Like