Sega Dreamcast |OT| It's Still Thinking

April 22 Update:

1 Like

Ok, after making this video I got a reply from TR Fight Stick and this is what they had to say.

"Hello
The PSU is universal. You can use it without any problem my friend.

And noctua fan is not included at the packet
It just supported. And you can use your original fan with Metal Adapter.
Please watch the video to see how to build DreamCase."

Hmm, so I guess I was wrong about the fan. Iā€™m really not sure about that PSU though as it clearly says from 200 volts.
I will give TR Fight Stick good words for their fast reply though. They got back to me within the hour.

2 Likes

Well this is oddā€¦ my Dreamcast randomly resets after I turn it on. Seems like thereā€™s something wrong with the PSU.

Thats a common issue with the contact pins between the mainboard and PSU oxidizing, easy fix

Got a link to a proper fix that is trusted to work?

Just unscrew the PSU & gently pull it from the pins. Then if they look Ok, no corrosion etc gently scrap them with a small flat bladed screwdriver, & then clean them with isopropyl fluid, push the PSU back onto the pins, then pull it off again a couple of times, then you should be fine.
You can also gently bend the pins toward the sockets to give more tension, but I would only do that as a last resort.

Nice, Iā€™ll try this.

Iā€™ve had this issue on 2 dreamcasts and always just bent the pins, but itā€™s only really a temporary fix. Iā€™d read that they get hot and bend away from the contacts over time, and that just seems to happen again at a random time.

Theyā€™re pretty huge, so thereā€™s not much risk of snapping them or anything though. A google search should find a guide but iirc the direction to bend them varies whether pal or ntsc, so keep that in mind!

The build and an explanation following on from the unboxing.

1 Like

Love this game. 60fps, lovely textures and great story. Whatā€™s the game?

1 Like

Maken X

Was surprised at how cheap it was going for, even new copies, a few years ago when I got it again. Seemed like the kind of ā€œhidden gemā€ that would suddenly be several hundred dollars. Not even going to look at the prices now.

2 Likes

happy 21st birthday to the GOAT! not my pic but had to share

5 Likes

The game that got me off of America Online. For whatever reason you couldnā€™t connect though it, so I switched to another service provider.

2 Likes

I loved Dreamcast, such a really good console!

1 Like

I have the most amazing friends :sob: They threw a surprise birthday party for me and bought me a region modded Dreamcast with two controllers, a lightgun, VMU, and a bunch of games. The console is in great condition and apparently it has been professionally refurbished.

Not pictured:
Marvel vs. Capcom
ChuChu Rocket
4 Wheel Thunder
Shadow Man (I remember the magazine ads for this one vividly :joy_cat: I can finally play it)
Incoming
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
F355 Challenge
Trick Style
Planet Ring
Star Wars Episode 1: Jedi Power Battles

Now the hunt for more DC games begins. RIP my wallet :money_with_wings:

9 Likes

You have great friends @Klappdrachen!
Most of my friends have no idea about consoles and gaming in general. :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Amazing! Happy Birthday and enjoy that beauty.

1 Like

Good friends indeed. Happy Birthday!

1 Like

Thatā€™s awesome man :+1:

1 Like

Thanks everyone :innocent: Iā€™ve been playing for the past few days and Iā€™m having a blast. One thing Iā€™m wondering about: Are there any issues with using one VMU for both PAL and NTSC games? I remember the Gamecube memory cards didnā€™t like that.

Also: F355 challenge is surprisingly fun! :checkered_flag: