Streets of Rage 4 coming (GuardCrush Games with Lizardcube, DotEmu publishing)

I was a little sceptical at first, but given it’s gone a few days I’m getting hyped. Unless they’d made like a build out of a SOR mod of some sort like Sonic Mania and kept the exact visuals only adding small modern touches I would have preferred the old sprite look. However if it’s built from the ground up I’m glad they haven’t tried to replicate 16-bit graphics like many indie games try to do, but end up looking nothing like that era.

Really looking forward to this!

1 Like

Yeah I’m not really a fan of the “modern pixel art” look either. There seems to be a certain charm with 8 & 16 bit sprites that, few games nowadays have been able to pull off. Everything else comes off giving me that f2p iPhone game vibe that I tend to avoid. Unless highly recommended.

This announcement inspired me to fire up SoR Remake today and really give it a shot.

As a huge fan of the originals, the game itself is insanely good with tons of options to dial in the SoR experience you want. You can change just about everything about the game from the basics like video filters and difficulty, to more specific options like how weapons are handled, whether or not to allow friendly fire, the police “bombs” from the first SoR, how deaths are handled, etc. You can even switch the look of sprites and add a CPU partner.

It seems to take all the stories of the original trilogy and tie them together into a single experience, which in itself is wild. You choose different paths at certain points that take you to totally different areas. I’ve not played enough of this or SoR 3 to tell if there are totally new areas, but all of the areas I have seen so far have been very well done.

The game is rendered in 240p (which I respect immensely), with several scaling options and filters as well. The graphics themselves are faithful to the originals while making a few key upgrades. Backgrounds are much more detailed than the originals in many cases, with tons of parallax and moving elements. The colors also seem to pop more in the remake than they did on the Genesis. Overall I think the graphics look like a kind of ‘SoR Mania’, what a SoR game could have looked like on Saturn.

I’ve only played a few levels so far, but I am really loving it overall. I feel like increased awareness of this game will give SoR 4 a high bar to clear. It mirrors the AM2R/Samus Returns situation, where there is a superb fan game that will draw heavy comparison to the new official entry. Hopefully the SoR 4 devs are aware of this game and at least look at it as a standard to surpass, while offering their own touch and features.

2 Likes

Lizardcube posted some idle animations on their twitter. Axel is roughly the size of a barge.

1 Like

Looks okay. It’s a bit over embellished - they’re practically dancing - but it’s better than having less frames.

It’s confirmed… these are hand drawn and not 3D models.

Sick Yuzo Koshiro beats confirmed? /s

1 Like

Axel at 45? Blaze at 40? Sign me up!

1 Like

The animation looks great. I really like the hair on Blaze.

1 Like

You’ve probably all seen this by now, but just in case…

Yuzo is in! So are many others…

1 Like

Fantastic news. Also, since they are playing with a PS4 controller, it’s now confirmed the game will be on PC, PS4 and Xbox One, hope the Switch version is coming too.

Game is confirmed for 2020.

2 Likes

Whoa! I totally missed that when I looked at that yesterday!

1 Like

And now you know. I can’t wait to play the hell out of that game!

Can’t wait!

Finally has a release date!

1 Like

Hyyyyyyype

1 Like

Wonder if I can order a physical copy locally…

I believe that’s Limited Run Games exclusive, so…

Damn you LRG… damn you.

Although looking at the special edition I find it irritating that the switch version doesn’t have Genesis written down the side anyway…