Super SD System 3 - Full ODE for the PCE/ TurboGrafx + RGB (Mini-Review/Discussion)

Only if I can squeeze it in with all the used panties.

1 Like

Wow this looks amazing but definitely consider it if i didnt already have a complete, rgb-ready Coregrafx with CD attachement.

This seems really dumb. You got called out for your video quality being bad so that’s how you react. I have to be honest the more I see how these guys react to criticism, and comments the less I want to support them in anyway shape or form. Yeah a lot of people were rude or extreme in their initial reactions, but so were these guys, and I don’t even mean on just NeoGeo.com but also on the Shmups forum, where they asked if people even played games or just looked at video output on an oscilloscope.

Its great the ODE works really well, and from watching MLiG’s twitch stream the interface and other parts of it look really nice. When you have really bad video output though none of that matters IMHO. Specially on such an expensive product. Putting something like this out, where you are including RGB, you need to compare it and match the output from other solutions. It’s not like this is a 100 bucks, it costs more than a Duo or Duo-R. It’s an expensive kit, people are going to expect quality across the board. Maybe instead of making something like this to replace the CD Rom ADD on they should have made an ODE that replaced the laser in Duo/Duo-R/RX units and then they don’t have to worry about video output.

The guys at MLiG just got their review up: https://youtu.be/embglSBWF8E

Great look at the system! I haven’t seen much video noise or heard buzzing when a CDROM image is being accessed, but I’ve definitely heard the distortion on certain audio tracks.

Still, I definitely agree with MLiG that the pros outweigh the cons, and I’m hoping the audio distortion issues are fixed in firmware.

1 Like

Still in the queue for mine. Terraonion put up their new support forums, and they posted that they were up to February 20th in the queue… so still about a month away from my order.

I had heard about buzzing in the audio, but not about the audio issue mentioned in the MLIG video with the distortion. That’s a deal breaker for me, so I hope it gets fixed.

I bought one for me days ago. Lets see , i want to have this working correctly

If any of you have a V1 board, the replacement program for that is now live.

https://forums.terraonion.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78

1 Like

FirebrandX has figured out the audio buzzing issue. There’s now a tutorial for fixing it on your own, and someone there is offering to do the fix for those of us who have no skills. Future units shipped from Terraonion will already have the fix applied.

https://forums.terraonion.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=133

Does that fix all the issues?

This specifically fixes the issue of noise when the Super SD System accesses the SD card (usually only noticeable during loading screens with no music).

This weke they’re also releasing Firmware 1.2, which among other game specific issues will give you a CD Audio volume control, which will allow you to turn down the CD audio and fixes the compression/distortion.

With those two issues fixed, the only remaining issue is noise on certain colours (usually diagonal banding). Personally, I can’t see it on my Framemeister set up, but there are some screengrabs online that show the issue.

I gave up and bought a duo. Once it’s all fixed I’ll get a PC Engine and this.

1 Like

I thought I heard some a rumor that someone is working on a hucard rom cart that has the same functionality as the sdsystem 3.

Yeah they showed something on the turbo express running a CD game. I’m just not holding my breath

I had the capacitor installed by Mobiusstriptech and just got it back today. The buzzing is totally gone now! This is great.

damn, just catching up here (how did i miss this thread twice?). I’d somehow assumed the drama was on PCEFX but hearing it was NG isn’t really surprising

okay so the audio thing was fixed, hows the RGB quality now? assuming you don’t have jailbars?

honestly it took work for my doujindace Duo-R to get the disc drive right, and i still worry about it down the road. the idea of just selling that and getting this with a US TG16 is mighty tempting…this things RGB modded but i never invested in an arcade card or turbo everdrive so yeah

shame about the save states but ill stay hopeful!

So I’ve been doing a Rondo playthrough on my new SSDS3 hooked up to an OG PC Engine, with SCART going to my PVM, and one of the pre-boss screens had this weird green background that didn’t seem right… does one of the pre-boss screens actually have a neon green background in it? Or is this a SSDS3 bug?

Also, anyone know how to transfer retroarch saves to this thing?

That is indeed in the game normally.

For all its greatness, that game has a couple of seriously rough bits, like that.

Seems there’s still no guarantee that the new voultar/mobius board will fix the video issues:

The most important thing to stress is this is not necessarily going to be a silver bullet. These boards will provide video quality at or exceeding the quality of the current circuit on your SSDS3. Why phrase it that way? Well in most cases the video quality is greatly improved. However there are variations even within a single “version” of the SSDS3. I have tested with roughly 20 different SSDS3 boards and easily 20+ PC Engine family consoles. There are console side factors that will need to be taken into consideration and the documentation will address this as well.

For those interested, pricing is not finalized. I am shopping the production cost right now to make sure we don’t skimp on the quality of components but still offer the solution as cheap as possible. My intention is going to be to offer the boards essentially at cost, including my time for testing and assembly.

from the Shmups forum

Nice to see it being offered at near cost, it’s a shame such a premium priced product has dropped the ball and that it needs these fixes.

1 Like

I still can’t believe they compared their RGB output to the stock composite output and then when everyone started to complain about the video noise they said " oh well. It still looks better then composite so stop your bitching"

1 Like

damn. okay, yeah - long as my disc drive holds, i’m back to leaning towards a turbo everdrive for black friday i guess!

1 Like