The Nintendo Virtual Boy |OT| Batteries Not Included

Looks like my VB is finally succumbing to screen/ribbon issues. My theory was you just had to play it more frequently and/or keep it in a stable temperature. In the past mine would have issues for a few minutes sometimes, but then once it warmed up they would go away.

Yesterday it was working perfectly for 30 minutes, then issues started, so the opposite.

Aww no! I really should check mine :grimacing:

AHA!

Left it on for 30 minutes. Fixed again!

I think this is the key, at least with my one. Turn it on for an hour once a year, keeps the connections flowed.

Finally going to finish Wario!

@harborline_765 what were you saying recently about fixing a VB using an oven?

Sounds like a bad idea. Just have it soldered.

Oven method is not recommended these days I believe.

The ā€˜topā€™ fix is either manual wiring or a flux/solder method that melts some of the plastic or something.

Yeah basically Nintendo originally used glue to hold the connector in place, and over time the glue weakens and the cable comes loose. The ideal solution now is to have someone who is very, very, very good with a soldering iron (seriously, it is SUPER easy to fuck up your cable permanently) to directly solder the cable to the board. You end up with something like this

Then you never have to worry about it ever again.

I was at the Play Expo at Margate and the folk at Replay Events were supplying their interesting collection of old consoles for demo again - including their Virtual Boy.

Now the last time I saw their VB it had the garbled graphics, but this time it was working fine. I managed to find one of their staff at the event because their Color TV Game Block Kuzushi wasnā€™t working, and ended up asking him about the VB. He mentioned they used the oven method on the cable, though thereā€™s someone in America (who I think @Peltz referred to the other week) who will fix them.

As others have said itā€™s not really recommended - just a temporary fix. The connection will eventually undo itself again.

That held true for me in late November, though a couple of weeks ago I had the same issues as you did, it came back really badly when I started playing Mario Clash despite it being fine for the past half hour. Odd.

After 4 failed units, I eventually went this route and bought a pre-modded unit. Works flawlessly every time. If anyone wants the details on the modder let me know and I can dig through my eBay history for him.

1 Like

That looks pretty simple to be honest. Iā€™d be happy to try my hand at it for someone.

1 Like

I was about to edit to say, ā€œor maybe @Danexmurder could do itā€ :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yep, after lifting the pins on a model 1 genesis successfully last night Iā€™m feeling kind of invincible. :laughing: Seriously though, looks like you just need to expose the contacts and bridge them well. Iā€™d be happy to try it out for anyone that needs it.

I have a few busted units you can practice on in case you want to try

1 Like

I think the problem is just touching them too much can kill them, theyā€™re super delicate to the point of ridiculousness :grimacing:

1 Like

Yeah this isnā€™t something I would say just try it. I know people who have no problem doing other ridiculous shit that have ruined multiple VB cables attempting this. I had MobiusStripTech do mine when he installed my VirtualTap.

1 Like

Well mine is working flawlessly again now. Just needed that tiny bit of warm from being on for an hour. To another ten years!

I was going to open it up and have a look but found out it needs a very long thin torx screwdriver. The bit I have used for ~20 years on all my consoles doesnā€™t fit!

1 Like

Oh yeh thatā€™s annoying! I had someone with the right bit undo it for me and I just leave it out, lol.

1 Like

That would be awesome! Happy to pay to ship them.

Interesting tidbit: https://twitter.com/Yoshidamian/status/1311236926754549760

Due to low demand, only 100 copies of Virtual Bowling and SD Gundam on Virtual Boy were put into production, which was the minimum order quantity at the time.

Yikes! Thatā€™s crazy. But kinda cool too.