The official Retro Core / Battle of the Ports thread

Can’t get an Analogue Pocket? Anbernic has you covered

3 Likes

This week, we hit the 400th show and I cover the game that’s been asked for the most.
Includes knockoffs!

4 Likes

Great episode, and I actually hadn’t realized that there have been so many different versions of Super Mario Bros! Also, I have to admit that like you, I also don’t care for the game too much. It’s fine and I can see it’s a great game and how influential it was, but I think it’s because I grew up playing Atari, Commodore and Colecovision when I was very young, and have a soft spot for those games instead. My next console wasn’t until SNES, so I missed out on NES except for a few games here and there which I played at friend’s houses. Meaning I never got to memorize all those levels when I was a kid and don’t have rose colored glasses to look back on many of the games.

2 Likes

Another fun battle! I must say I’m quite impressed by the C64 and Speccy versions. I was also pleasantly surprised by the Atari 2600 version, even though it’s hilarious to see in action.

And like you and @heavyliquid, I’m also not a big fan of Super Mario. I’d rather play Pac-Land, Wonder Boy, Pitfall 2 or Ghosts 'n Goblins, if I had to pick a platformer from that era.

2 Likes

A little late this week but it is finally here. battle of the Ports first true RPG coverage.
No, Popful Mail doesn’t count :slight_smile:

2 Likes

These could be of use to the retro gamer who owns CD based games.

Man thanks for highlighting this. I replace a lot of my cases of games on arrival because CD cases are often ratty / cracked and not worth cleaning – 5 seconds to replace the case is a huge win. But those wide earlier PS1 cases have been a pain for years.

1 Like

I feel your pain. Those games had been sitting in plastic sleeves for years. Finally they’re back to how they should be.

Just clicked the video and that border down soundtrack hits me right in the feels.

1 Like

This week on BOTP, an Amiga Game that was raved about.

3 Likes

Great video!

I didn’t know there were that many ports of that game. That unofficial Amstrad CPC port is really impressive!

1 Like

Great game, but you forgot a version, I’m digging up my psp go just to give it a quick play again after this video.

2 Likes

I know. The Amstrad version really surprised me. So smooth and colourful.

2 Likes

Ah, they’re emulated Dos ports I beleive.

Another great vid! Kind of a bummer to think that DICE now just churn out FPS’ rather than array of wild and varied titles.

Well, we really should blame EA for that.

The original is an all time classic but how is this follow up?

Let’s check out Rastan Saga II on this week’s battle of the Ports.

4 Likes

This week’s Battle of the Ports has a little something special featured after the main ports.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of City Heroes! Too bad it was never released. I would have liked to play it, even though it seemed like a massive SOR rip-off.

Cool find!

2 Likes

The ultimate budget gaming phone?