The Ripping Thread - How to build your own legit retro ROM library.

If i have understood correctly, the purpose with this page is to post information on how to backup your own games (without downloading them from the internet.) Sharing information on how to do it is encouraged.

1 Like

You’re right. I guess I was just being cautious since the switch is so new while the other consoles that people are normally looking to dump games with are older.

It’s fine.

1 Like

Great thread and probably my favorite on this forum, learned a lot from it. But I’m surprised no one mentioned Bubsy Two-Fur on Steam :stuck_out_tongue: it’s basically an emulator and a couple of roms.

The roms are in the game’s folder, called bubsy_1 and bubsy_2, just add .smc to each and you’re good to go.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Just like the Atari Vault and SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics on Steam. I wonder what other game compilations contains the original ROMs.

Plug-Play-Konami-Frogger-Arcade-TV-Games
Apparently Konami made a Frogger plug-and-play TV-game with Majesco. What’s interesting about that is that the system is a “NES-on-a-chip”, making the game compatible with a real NES. Frogger was never ported to the NES, but this little plug-and-play unit actually contains a legit official NES ROM of Frogger from Konami. So the big question remains…How do we dump it?

3 Likes

Thers a new NES version of Tetris in the recent Retrobit Go Retro

1 Like

Nice! I want this for my EverDrive!

Super Interesting! I hope someone figures out how to rip it!

The sneaky article author snuck in a picture of their rare Tezuka Game Boy Light in there :wink:

He’s a show off for sure

It seems heavily inspired by the Tengen/Atari version in execution with the (kinda ugly) Tetris pieces and the Single/Double/Triple/Tetris text when a line is cleared. I wonder if it’s an elaborate ROM hack or something else.

I know Frank Cifaldi has tweeted not too long ago about making a concerted effort to extract all the new NES ROMs from various Plug 'n Play devices (I believe that’s his Tetris footage, in fact), but we’ll see if they ever get dumped, released, etc.

1 Like

My hunch is that Arika or M2 did it. No evidence, just dreaming.

They would certainly be the most eligible candidates, though M2 seems less likely since they were talking like getting the new Mega Drive version made was a pretty notable exception.
I’m a little surprised whomever it was made an NES port that follows the colors/ghost rules, but no Hold piece or, AFAICT, hard drop?

It was created by Shiru, a prolific Russian retro-game-dev, demo-scener and musician.

See: https://shiru.untergrund.net/aboutme.shtml

More at: https://tetris.wiki/Tetris_(Retro-Bit_Go_Retro!_Portable)

It has hard drop, no hold piece, SRS base rotations, no kicks.

1 Like

So I had orderd this a while back, and it FINALLY came in. I guess they got overwhelmed with demand and had a bit of delay. My GB01 is here. So my file server recently shit the bed, like majorly. Lost everything all my save back ups and personal rips I had done. Thankfully for the stuff that I have everdrives for they’re all on those. For things like my GB/C/A games I didn’t have them anywhere else. So i took this opportunity in getting a GB01 to re-rip my GB/C/A collection. I had done it previously using the retrode and the GB adapter, though that doesn’t support GBA Saves.

According to the documents that come with it, they still basically consider this an evaluation board and not ready for prime time release. Supposedly there will be a case for it eventually (I hope those of us with this board can buy just the case), but other than that I have to say this thing worked great.

It comes in a nice box with a USB Type-C cable, and the software is free to download on their website. Basically you install the software, plug the device into your computer, and plug in a game. You have the option of downloading the rom and the gamesave.

There are advance options if you know the exact size of the rom.

In the download save tab are the more interesting advance options asking you for the game save chip type and the game save size in bytes.

For the majority of games you won’t have to put any info here at all, and it will automatically detect this.

My GB/C/A collection is not particularly big, all together it amounts to 65 games. Out of those 65 the only 4 I ran into issues with were Onimusha Tactics, Samurai Jack The Amulet of Time, Tactics Ogre, and Boktai the Sun is in your Hands. I could rip the game roms themselves just fine, but it wanted to know the specific save ram chip type and size. Which is not info I had on hand, and I haven’t found just yet. Need to really sit down and do some googling.

Unfortunately for me, about 3/4s of my GBC/A games with battery backups already have dead batteries. Good by Zero Mission save, Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Oracle of Ages, Seasons, and Link’s Awakening DX, FF Legend, hell pretty much all my FF games on the GBA. Surprisingly all of my regular GB games still had their saves, but the GBC/A stuff was just a graveyard of dead saves : (.

Was wondering if it was possible to extract ROMs from the Castlevania Anniversary Collection. And it seems like it is. With a quick Google search I found this: https://twitter.com/foone/status/1129199721656963073
I’m guessing it will probably work on the arcade and Contra collections as well.

3 Likes

How you will extract ROMs from Castlevania Anniversary Collection when you download the collection you will extract from the WinRAR and you can select what game you want to play. Another method that I think will work is to select the game with the Emulator. Can you tell me what is your purpose what you want to do when you extract the Castlevania Collection? I download NDS ROMs for Castlevania and play the games with NDS Emulators on PC.

I followed a tutorial on reddit and was able to extract the Aladdin Final Cut Rom from my Switch and if was surprisingly easy as you can use the exact same methods people came up with for SF Anniversary.

That said you’ll need a Switch capable of running CFW.

Seems like ATGames are at it again with their plug-and-play systems. And regardless of the quality of the console, it does contain interesting stuff like Fix-It Felix Jr or Zombies Ate My Neighbors. I haven’t heard of anyone actually dumping ROMs from the Flashback systems, but it sure would be cool if it was possible.