The Ripping Thread - How to build your own legit retro ROM library.

I have not tried this, but…

Since the Playstation Classic is easy to hack it’s just a matter of copying everything from the “/gaadata” to get access to the cue/bin files for the games.

1 Like

Finally got around to this. Feel free to transplant into OP. @Peltz

The only improvements would be to add links within the OP for all the platforms that are in there. Until then a bunch of these just point to the top of the OP.

Multi platform

Floppy disks
INLretro Dumper-Programmer (kazzo)
No-Intro, guides
Redump, guides
Retrode
Retron5

Specific platforms

C64
Colecovision Flashback
Dreamcast
DSiWare, transfer from CFW 3DS to CFW DSi
GB/GBC, using Everdrive 64
FDS
N64
NDS, using CFW 3DS
NDS, using CFW DSi
NDS, using dongle
NDS, using flash cart
NES
NGC, using Wii
PCE/TG16
PCE CD
PlayStation Classic
PlayStation 1/2
Saturn/SegaCD
SNES, using SuperNT
Wii
Wii VC
WiiWare

Specific games (bundled ROMs)

Disney Afternoon Collection
Megaman Legacy Collection
MaBoShi, NDS ROM from WiiWare game
Sonic Adventure DX
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary
Various Wii games

2 Likes

NDS using flash cart

NDS/3DS, using GodMode9 on CFW 3DS
https://3ds.hacks.guide/godmode9-usage.html

NDS, using CFW DSi

DSiWare, transfer from CFW 3DS to CFW DSi
https://dsi.cfw.guide/dumping-dsiware

WiiWare

1 Like

No-Intro recommended methods, various cartridge platforms
http://wiki.no-intro.org/index.php?title=Dumping_Guides

Redump recommended methods, various disc platforms
http://wiki.redump.org/index.php?title=Dumping_Guides

1 Like

Hi folks! I’m new here, and just picked up the Mega Man Legacy Collection and Disney collections on a sale. I want to extract all the ROMs but I don’t really see a good guide for using the “romextract” Python scripts. I’m pretty unfamiliar with using Python, and I keep getting syntax errors and/or 1KB files when I try using different approaches. Is there a good step-by-step that covers installing Python correctly in Windows through to using at least those two scripts appropriately? Or could someone kinda walk me through the process in a direct fashion? Thanks in advance!

your best option is to leave a comment on the script gist page.

But generally:

1. Make sure you can run python
  2. Put the script and Proteus.exe in the same directory
  3. Run the script with Proteus.exe as the only argument

I’m trying this as well, and the roms dump but they are all 1kb in size. I’ve had pretty good luck using python for other things so not sure what’s going on with this one.

If you can’t extract using python you could do it by hand using a hex editor.

But as I said above, post a comment on the gist page or reddit. This topic is mostly a collection of links not a support forum for them all.

@panopticblue
It looks like the MMLC Proteus.exe has probably been updated since the script last was, but the Disney collection does still work. Here’s what I had to do, maybe it will help you and others:

• Install Python
  • Install Cygwin64 for bash script support, will go to C:\cygwin64 by default.
  • Download all of the “romextract” stuff, subfolders and all, and extract to some HDD folder.
  • Open Cygwin Terminal from Start Menu.
  • Drag-and-drop the romextract.sh file into the command line, select the command line window and hit the Spacebar once, then drag-and-drop the capcom_disney_afternoon.exe file into it, then hit enter in the command prompt.
  • Your extracted ROMs appear in c:\cygwin64\home\UserName\STEAM-525040\ (I think that’s the script name).

Proteus.exe (MMLC1)'s hash (currently ver. 1.1.1.29) no longer matches the script’s, so I tried forcing it to use that script and got dud ROMs. I will kindly ask him if he could take the time to update his script.

UPDATE: I contacted him and he updated the script to support the new executable! I have successfully ripped both US and JP ROMs from the current, aforementioned Proteus.exe using the updated script. Snag 'em before you forget and it gets patched out again!

2 Likes

Recently got a Plextor external CD/DVD drive and have been ripping some discs and submitting .dat verification files to redump.org. So far some odd Japanese PSX games, and NUON games.

Feels good to be using my collection to make that database more solid for preservation.

According to the internet (can’t find the source) the DS game Contra 4 contains the original Contra and Super-C for the NES. Supposedly it’s fairly simple to extract them from the DS-ROM, and they should work fine on a NES emulator (or a flashcard I would assume).

1 Like

A Nintendo DS ROM contains a file system, and there are file explorer apps - such as Tinke - that allow you to display the hierarchy and choose to extract/replace single files. That would probably work.

There’s also FileJuicer that can recognise and extract various ROM file formats from larger chunks of data. That would probably work also.

I can’t test because I don’t have Contra 4.

Finally got around to catching up on some YouTube channels and Voultar has a recent one that combines dumping your own carts with applying translation patches to them in a non-destructive way. Really interesting stuff and something I may try down the road, especially if he includes Game Boy games at some point:

Looks like he’s using that new version of the Kazzo dumper with some custom scripts since it lacks a GUI still.

Wow, this is an amazing achievement. I love retro games and enjoy reading this kind of staffs. At the moment I play TurboGrafx16 and I have an impressing collection of games in my PC over 30 games.

Hi Sika. Glad to have you. Welcome to the site!

Any chances Trials of Mana can be ripped? I’d love to play the official release on original hardware.

It’s already been ripped and is playable on original hardware. I have it on my SD2SNES now.

Hot damn, gonna play this on the Super NT to add in a decent scanline effect.

And now the question is: How can you dump the game?

You’d have to hack your switch and then dump the cart using a homebrew program like gcdumptool for carts or SwitchSDTool. Unfortunately having a switch with custom firmware go online has a high chance of getting you banned so only do that on a switch that you’re not using your main account on.

(Please let me know if it’s okay to post those programs here.)

1 Like