What are you playing? (Modern Gaming Edition)

Yeah, that’s true. I meant the certain AAA games that normally do that, not what the other devs made that break from that. It makes me curious for next gen as well.

Nintendo has almost always cut to the chase, though. Pacing has always been their strong suit IMO. Even when they eff it up, it’s more annoyance than full on rage inducing like that SNL skit lampoons.

Playing a lot of smash ultimate online and spirits mode. I’m just grinding to get all of them spirits. I need to still finish up world of light. This game is heavyyyy on content.

Other than that I’m going to be giving Max Payne 3 a replay soon on 360(it’s not retro yet in my eyes) or Mass Effect 2. I haven’t decided yet on which one I want to have a go at.

Library spines?

Ahem…

Correct. I get almost all of my new games at the local libraries. I play them when they come out and buy them when the are sold at the book sales years later. This way I can always play the newest games and don’t have to spend a lot of money. I use the money I saved to buy retro games and consoles.

During the last book sale I picked up Sonic Ultimate Genesis collection (PS3) for $2, Witcher 3 (X1) for $4 and GTA V (PS3) for $5 to name a few. Sometimes they have 3DS games for $1.

Amazing.

Picked up Baba is You last night. The mechanics really caught my eye, and it’s almost fitting given how I’ve been playing a few Sokoban games on the Game Boy lately, and this takes the genre to new places.

Been banging my head on Sekiro. Making progress but the pacing is really getting to me.
Attempt boss 20-30 times, finally squeak by with a win.
Then I get to explore a new area and engage with the superb stealth/assasination mechanics. Grind for skills and maybe upgrade my prosthetic tools.
Then I hit a boss and halt my progress for a few days.
Rinse and repeat.
It’s my least favorite Fromsoft game in recent years, but there’s a lot to like about it as well. A love/hate/hate/HATE/HAAAAATE/like/love relationship.

The only modern game I’ve been playing lately is Apex Legends… still. It’s just so good. I love that it’s 5 to 25 minutes of adventure and then it starts all over again. It’s almost like an arcade game in that way which is probably why I’m enjoying it so much!

I’m rotating between 2 modern games right now:

Rocket League - it’s permanently in my rotation at this point. What a game. There’s a thrill every time I play it that has not yet subsided for years now. I doubt it will ever get old.

LoZ:BotW - Master Mode. On a whim, I started this last week. Having not played the game in 2 years, I’m finding that master mode is making the game almost as enjoyable as the initial run. But man, I almost forgot just how phenomenal BotW actually is.

The open world design is often breathtaking. The way the sandbox works makes for so many emergent gameplay moments. It’s fun to “cheese” the enemies in this game and you sort of have to considering how weak you are when you start out in this mode. Knocking them over ledges with bombs, dropping them into water, sneaking around them, and simply hitting them with your horse before engaging them on foot all become necessary in this mode.

I feel a bit like the road runner against Wile E. Coyote when playing it.

Downloaded Battlefield 5 a few days ago, mainly for the new Firestorm Battle Royale mode but we are having so much fun playing conquest mode I have barely played Firestorm, only problem is after a few hours of playing with a headset I feel like I’ve actually been to war! Bombs and artillery exploding everywhere! it’s a credit to the developers (even though I’m not an EA fan)

1 Like

When Battlefield is played in Conquest mode, all is right with the world. I really wish they’d stop tinkering and just focus on that mode with lots of cool maps that support lots of vehicles and then flesh out their teamwork stuff even more. Big scale warfare with micro conflicts everywhere is what Battlefield is all about.

1 Like

Nice! What rank are you up to now?

I’m still playing too… not as much as I like, but I’m approaching 1500 hours and not near sick of it yet.

Made a start on Labo VR today. It’s really good. Only built the goggles so far but there’s a surprising amount of fun to be had in the Pre-made Plaza minigames, and I haven’t poked around in the editor yet.

Looking forward to building the elephant’s trunk. That has IR stickers on the mask, with the right Joy-Con facing backwards towards them. I assume the IR camera uses the stickers to assess depth - a really novel way to do that.

Yea it looks really cool! Glad to hear of more positive impressions. It seems like Nintendo put together a really cool VR package (pun intended?)

If I ever move out of the city and get more space I want to build a few Labo sets. They seem like something I’d really enjoy.

Threw in the flag with Sekiro. I know I am super close to the end, and knowing what’s in store for me has me super demotivated to continue. I loved most of it, but I’m not up to the task of mastering it. Just not for me.

Just a couple of Switch games:

• I revisited Peach Ball just to see if it really was that bad of a pinball game and it still is pretty poor.
    The physics feel more convincing once you buy metal balls (the game starts you off with fluffy animal balls) that make a satisfying roll noise, enhanced by the HD rumble. The issues stem from the board design, they are just really dull boards that quickly reveal everything there is to see in minutes and aren’t particularly tough to master either.
    I still find it hard to dislike the game though due to the circumstances surrounding its release. It’s just rare to see a pinball game from a big publisher like Marvelous, let alone one released to retail. I just wish Tamsoft made better games - as usual for the series the fanservice is a crutch for mediocre game design…

• Baba is You continues to be an ingenious Sokoban game. Though as I progress further through its levels I’m finding myself getting stumped more and more. Currently I’ve completed three worlds, leaving about 10 levels open for me to attempt across another three, but I’m actually stumped on nearly all the levels I’ve tried. Some of these levels are large, sprawling maps too, which require a lot of time to be set aside for solving.

Umihara Kawase Fresh at the moment. Loving it so far - even being a veteran of the series it’s pretty challenging and the two (so far) large open maps are well designed.

It’s a bit like those Koopa challenges in Super Mario Odyssey, where you have several routes to make it to the goal for each quest. The time trial mode could do with more focus though. Every quest is available in the leaderboards-enabled time trial mode and some are much better suited for it than others.

I just started Monster Boy on Switch, bought a physical copy a few months back but was waiting to give a copy to my brother for his birthday before I opened mine (didn’t want him to see me playing it and decide to buy it while I was waiting for his birthday to roll around).

Gotta say it’s pretty enjoyable so far and beautiful looking too. Not too difficult but also not too easy. Lots of nice little throw backs to other games as well for the fans.