What are you playing? (Modern Gaming Edition)

They unfortunately don’t. There’s a few sequences during the campaign where you are a bit less overpowered due to various goings on in the plot, but overall they just throw waves of dudes at you to make up for your power.

That being said, I absolutely loved RDR2, and would recommend playing through the campaign based on the quality of the story and storytelling alone. I haven’t felt this attached to a cast of characters since Mass Effect 2.

Legend of Legacy. I’m so glad I gave this one a look, and I regret dismissing it on release for looking generic. While it has visually been inspired by Bravely Default, unlike that game it’s far from a derivative throwback.

I dig the emphasis on exploration, battling, strategy and gameplay over a guided story dictating where you must go next and how the game is structured. The developer’s followup - Alliance Alive - was more focused, and I loved it, but this feels more unique and even more player-driven than that game was.

Whoops didn’t know there was a (modern) thread for this. I took a break from God of War to play Anthem, so I’ve been playing that a lot. Once my premier pass is done I’ll probably go back to God of War. I also managed to finally beat Mario Odyssey in the middle of all that.

I’m still playing Legend of Legacy. I’m at the final boss but I’m clearly unprepared for it, so I’m messing around with the optional shifting sands dungeon and tackling some of the mega-tough minibosses at the moment.

Still really digging the game too, its systems are mostly smartly designed and the focus on exploration driving the game over story means you’re always in control of how, and where, you progress the adventure.

DMC5

Really enjoying this one. 4 was a step back and this feels like the more fleshed out sequel 4 should’ve been. It’s an ocean deep of combat mechanics. These games are modern day arcade games with AAA budgets. I love it.

I finished up Unravel Two.
Like the first one, it’s a super charming and not too stressful puzzle platformer that fans of games like Out of this World and Limbo should try. I wasn’t sure if I would like the new character switching mechanic but it grew on me after the initial learning curve. Maybe I’m just used to it but I think the swinging physics have been improved. I wouldn’t say this game is better than the first but it’s well worth playing.

I’ve been playing a lot of Apex Legends. I have about 12 wins now on PS4 and I feel like I’m definitely getting more accomplished in the game. It definitely rewards aggression and 3D thinking. Using the verticality of the maps to your advantage is so helpful in fights.

Apex has become my go-to game with my buddies for game night. It’s an absolute blast, and feels so polished. We played a ton of Pubg, and had swapped over to CoD Blackout, but what I like most about Apex is the gunplay. Unlike both Pubg and CoD, the time to kill is much higher: getting shot once or twice doesn’t mean instant death, which allows you to get into some pretty epic battles, especially if playing with a team that communicates well. CoD is particularly bad for this, most battles devolve down to “The person who shot first wins”.

Yep, absolutely agree that the ability to survive a hit or two in Apex makes the game enormously entertaining by comparison with other Battle Royale games. It’s definitely more on par with Fortnite which I think did it the best up to now. What it does is allow you play more aggressively because you know you can take a shot when you make contact, and if you can outnumber the other guy while taking a hit then you will probably come out on top, even if someone does get knocked.

I really like also how the guns are all so different and useful at different ranges. This is no different than it was in Titanfall 2 multiplayer because guns there worked the same for the most part, but bringing that into a BR game where there is often a lot of midrange fighting in addition to the sniping/shotgun fights, makes a huge difference to me.

I think also that three is the perfect number. I kind of hope they stick with that. I’m not even thinking about solo anymore and that’s mostly what I did in Fortnite, which was fun, but well… I like playing with other people, even random Joes.

I’m really enjoying DMC5 and Resident Evil 2.

Been playing Sekiro and it’s really good! Incredibly difficult though.

Not sure where exactly to put this, but I felt here was appropriate.

A pretty funny video that sums up a few of my problems with modern gaming.

1 Like

Just finished Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice on PC. Whew, that was an intense game, and some of the best bosses I’ve ever fought. The game felt very fair in a way prior From games never did, and parrying felt great (despite trademark modern lag to “add weight”).

Overall, combat and Gameplay are a solid 9/10, with flashes of Ninja Gaiden, Dark Souls, and Tenchu at different points. Lore was a little disappointing, maybe a 6/10 standard samurai flick/anime story. There were some good bits of lore potential here and there but nothing like Souls or Bloodbourne. Since this was pretty much the reason I got into those games, it was a letdown, but the gameplay was good enough to distract from that.

This really makes me want a Ninja Gaiden Renaissance (Ryu with a hookshot would be too sick) or at least raises my hopes that Nioh 2 can take some notes on the more action/reflex oriented combat.

Started to get into Shovel Knight on PC this weekend… man, it’s incredibly good!

It’s like Mega Man, Duck Tales, and Cave Story had a three way.

Highly recommended if you haven’t tried it yet.

It’s amazing how right on that whole thing is. It’s so uncomfortable, just like the actual games that pull that crap all the time.

This is why I prefer retro games.=p

Yea, modern AAA video games have really bad pacing these days. It’s been a problem for the past 2 generations now.

I prefer the 3DS version (it’s pixel perfect at the 3DS’s native res with a nice 3D effect).

But yea, what a game! It has fantastic level design. One of my favorites this gen.

And it’ll probably continue this way as well.

I don’t know. I feel like Souls games have impacted that somewhat. You see the influence in something like SMO and BotW. I bet it flows through to Western games at some point too. That immediacy is really something to strive for.