Which game are you trying to finish right now?

Ah Metoroido. Played it through again recently too on the Famicom Mini. It’s a fun romp with a map or if you know the map, without would be brutal still lol.

I used this map as I like that it is fairly vague and felt more true to Metroid. I played for about 20 seconds using a fully rendered map and immediately I could feel myself just glancing at it rather than exploring. Shut it right down.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/519689-metroid/faqs/16404

Playing Odyssey now so everything else is on hold. Not retro but before that I tried to finish Mad Max on PC, which I first put on hold for Splatoon and again for Mario + Rabbids.

It’s a rather disappointing, stereotypically “modern AAA” game that feels like a soulless version of the film. Completely misses everything that makes Fury Road a great film. I just wanna finish it because I put so much time into it already and driving through the bleak landscape is nice in 4K max graphics. A lot of bland busy work and these open worlds feel so dumb, stiff and static after Breath of the Wild. Like I’m in an amazing looking enemy camp and my character can’t reach stuff right in front of me nor hop over a 2 foot obstacle.

Nice. I used the full NES Metroid map from the October '91 Nintendo Power (old Star Trek cover issue).

Yeah that map would be good, not like you need every nook and cranny, or a screenshot map.

That kind of stuff drives me nuts. More realistic graphics mean the immersion crashes down harder when world breaking stuff happens. Interactivity should grow at the same pace as graphics or it just doesn’t work.

Exactly! I think that’s why I was never too crazy about the 360/PS3 console era (and their successors) and never bought them. I told a friend back in 2013, after playing Tomb Raider PC, that graphics were getting better with each passing year, but stage design and gameplay suffered… in addition to the clash between same ol controls/interactivity vs. realistic environments.

re: Metroid and maps. If you’re not a weirdo like me and wanting to stick as close to the vanilla experience as possible (which is admittedly BS since I did use an external map) you can try the Metroid + Saving romhack which adds a fancy save screen and map. This is a pretty good compromise in not altering things too much while making it a nicer experience.

1 Like

I tried this romhack for a bit and it’s good if you’re a fan of Metroid 1 (I’m not, unfortunately). I believe it was done by the same guy who made Metroid Rogue Dawn.

Mario Odyssey = Dragon Quest VII progress currently nuked.

Mario Odyssey just keeps on dangling the carrot in front of you so that the hours tick by without you even noticing. You keep thinking “okay just one more moon” which turns into like 10 moons.

In that regard, it’s almost as addictive as BotW was.

1 Like