MiSTer FPGA - OT

There is a not so good for that right now. But considering what they did with Amiga and C64 you can skip out on a lot of the BS if you just want to cut to the chase for games. I imagine it will be similar. Great ports or arcade games. Wondering how the fps will be fixed. I imagine 24hz won’t work on most displays

My case finally finished printing and all parts came in. I really like the way this turned out.

4 Likes

Wow that looks like it could be made of wood, nice work!

Yes its the wood PLA so it is like 30% wood, after you sand it you can stain it. I was going for a bit of an Atari vibe.

Oh, never heard of that stuff before… that’s awesome.

So in the future (or now, I guess) can/could the MiSTer be used to output HDMI and RGB at the same time?

I have noticed recently that I play games much much more if I have a way to do it on my main setup instead of having to go into a separate room, and if this thing can basically replace real consoles on a CRT and emulation on a PC monitor or flat panel, I’m all in.

MiSTer has a built-in scan doubler that you can disable, to have it output in 15khz mode. It’s enabled by default for HDMI usage, but you can set it up per-core. Then all you would need is the I/O board which is optional, and a VGA to component adapter.

• I/O board (optional expansion) This board plugs into the GPIO1 connector of the DE10-nano board. It provides a legacy VGA output (6 bits per component), analog audio (3.5mm phone jack), digital optical audio, buttons, LEDs. This board is useful if you prefer VGA over HDMI or you want to put the MiSTer inside a case. This board also helps for core development (HDMI scaler code requires around twice more time to compile). Compiling for VGA-only will speed up the development. This board is not required to run most cores.

So, to answer your question directly, you cannot have it output HDMI and Component at the same time, but you could switch back and forth as you need quite easily.

Thanks for the quick reply! I would probably be playing mainly on a PC CRT so VGA suits me just fine. It feels like the MiSTer is constantly ‘almost there’ for me. I know I’ll get it, I’m just waiting for a compelling reason to go for it over software emulation right now. It seems like the latter is still ahead on accuracy and features for most consoles (but I could be wrong).

If you’re using a PC CRT, you don’t even need to disable the scan doubler, as it will accept 31Khz natively.

So, basically you just need an I/O board.

MiSTer PCE CD Rondo of Blood booting for the first time

: o
1 Like

x2 res bump for GBA core looks amazing, much wizardry

3 Likes

Highly recommend the S-video adapters on Antonio Villena’s site. Work great. As far as I can tell, they are the only way to get S-video on the stock mister.

1 Like

PSA courtesy of Mantrox on Era:

edit, looks like the main updater is fixed now, lol that was fast

What is the best place to stay up to date on the state of MiSTer? I just ordered a DE-10 Nano and I’ll be grabbing some accessories over the next couple months. Just wondering about core progress and any major caveats or issues (special chips that don’t work, problem games, etc.).

Also were save states ever implemented or is there any plan for it?

Save states are in the GBA core but nothing else that I know of. Matt’s link is useful for the thread showing core updates but I would refer to the GitHub link in the first post in this thread for what special chips or options a core supports as well as any known bugs in the issues section for each.

1 Like

Got my DE-10, USB hub, and SDRAM card last weekend and still waiting on the I/O board.

What I have noticed so far:

I’ve only played with a few consoles so far. Genesis, Mega CD, SNES, NES, and PCE seem to work really well. NEO GEO seems to run slow but that could be due to not having a heatsink or to the UniBIOS defaulting to Europe (even though I switch it over each time I play). I may need a new PCE-CD bios, some games work fine while others will not boot.

Playing on a PC CRT and M30 RF controller lag seems fine, about on par with my Retroarch setup with latency settings cranked. I am certainly not noticing it either way. I need to look into lag reduction settings on the controller side still, I’ve heard there are some good options to reduce/eliminate it.

A heatsink won’t make a difference like that, sounds like a setiing isn’t sticking for some reason.

Good to know, I will update to a different UNIBIOS to see if it helps.

UPDATE: It did not. Will I have to save a certain setting outside the UNIBIOS?

I don’t use the Unibios so had a google for you, seems like if you enable the memory card and auto save core options then that setting saves, but you have to do it for each game.