MiSTer FPGA - OT

Wow, thanks! That worked like a charm. I think that’s all the basic consoles sorted now.

I wasn’t too blown away at first but the more I play the more often I just find myself smiling like a loon. There really is something special about MiSTer! This is what I have always imagined as the best possible scenario. Multi-system, no-lag, simultaneous analog and digital output, highly accurate emulation and support for so many control options. Can’t wait to see how far this project goes.

I will say if this project can be forked at some point to provide a plug and play solution with less setup for this sort of performance it will be huge. Analogue is most of the way there, but I’m not sure they could release an ‘Analogue-multi’ at this point without alienating a lot of folks.

PS1 core in progress!

I never expected Neo Geo support, let alone the possibility of PS1! Very cool.

PS1 has been (openly) in the works for about six months. He’s made a lot of progress but seems like a lot to go still (I’m no expert on these things so this is based on his updates and comments across other boards). Regardless, it’s very exciting!

Do any other cores support analog controllers or rumble? I can’t think of any, but I’ve only used a SFC controller on mine so far so I guess I wouldn’t know lol.

Not many MiSTer users here?

There are a few of us (dozens of us.gif lol). I think most of the info comes out on Twitter, the official MiSTer forum, or the OT on Era. Also I think most people here, myself included, prefer to play on original hardware so it kind of limits the discussion a bit.

2 Likes

Ah makes sense. Just curious haha. I’m looking to get into MiSTer

1 Like

Anybody got a SiDi (MiSTer compatible)

99EUR

PS1 progress

CPU, DMA, GPU, GTE done, occupying 50% FPGA space, booting BIOS
https://www.patreon.com/posts/45370958

1 Like

Hi all,

Got a MiSTER back in the fall and over the last few months I’ve gotten a pretty complete setup together for playing on CRT. The killer app for me was an easy, low-power way to play a ton of games very accurately on a consumer CRT (CRT_emudriver is nice but I really appreciate how quick the MiSTer is to load up and how little power it draws).

The one downfall for me here in the US is the large number of PAL games, which is especially rough when trying to get into the Amiga! Is there a way to play these games on a consumer US set through MiSTer? I know it is a long shot but I figured I’d ask.

As of now my only idea would be to hook up a PVM or PC CRT monitor to use exclusively for PAL games, but due to the size being limited I’d really like to use my larger consumer sets if I can.

Is this a pipe dream?

I thought most consumer sets from the mid 90s were PAL and NTSC compliant.

I’m in Australia, and was concerned about the same problem, but I’ve only run into one or two older sets which didn’t support both.

What options do you have? I recall that you had a largish collection of CRTs from previous setup posts. Perhaps one will be PAL compliant and could be checked online before manually connecting the mister.

1 Like

I have 3 sets I am interested in using as far as consumer sets, a Sony KV-27FS320, a Panasonic Tau 24" , and a JVC D-series 20" (not sure of the model numbers).

Do I need to switch these in the menu? I haven’t tried the JVC but the Sony and the Panasonic do not accept the PAL signal if I switch to a game that uses it on the fly.

1 Like

Have you any way to confirm PAL on these TVs using something other than MiSTer?

I am trying to think of anything else I have that would output PAL and I am almost sure I have nothing on hand. I tried using the ‘direct video’ feature instead of the I/O board with a couple of screens but it never worked correctly in RGB or Component. As of now I have just connected a VGA monitor to handle PAL signals until I can figure it out.

As an aside, for anyone who uses a 360 or Xbox One controller with the MiSTer over wireless, which receiver do you use? I see the 360 has pretty low lag with a generic receiver, but I know how much of a crapshoot the internals can be on those so I would appreciate if anyone can point me toward a good one to buy.

For the xbox one controllers, the official microsoft receiver is prob the best option. It’s still available as far as I know. Bought one not too long ago for 18,-. I’d recommend it over the 360 anyways because of the horrendous d-pad you’d have to suffer through. The whole construction and feel is also just a lot better. Haven’t tried one with a MiSTer though, so you’d have to look elsewhere to confirm compatability.

Speaking of 360, ignoring the d-pad. I’m surprised noone has incorporated the wireless controller/power board into the mister design as a plug and play option with a mini header/daughterboard. It houses the power button, the 4 controller LED’s in the LED/ring format, and already has a standard header connector attached. They are easily harvested from a dead 360 (plenty of those). Software should be dead easy too. All it needs is an external command to trigger pairing mode, but code for that was available for the cheapest atmel controller you can find years ago.

Thanks! Looks like the official XB1 receiver is now around $40 on Amazon, but I am willing to grab it since I do have a XB1 controller I use for PC games. I just have 3-4 wireless 360 pads sitting around without much use that I figured I could return to service with the MiSTer. Now I play with the 8bitDo M30 2.4G which has about the same lag as the 360 or a little more than the XB1, but I wanted a dual analog controller for a possible PS1 core in the future.

Saturn work has begun

I hope it fits! Exciting to see work on this. I guess some of the work could feed into other cores, 32x perhaps?

PS1 progress

Gamepad & 240p test suite

• I never realised you could control the suited of the scrolling scene!

GPU Simulator & Ridge Racer

• so much wasted overlapping polygon drawing!

The ps1 had no Z buffer, so no way to do depth sorting before draw. It would take up too much CPU time anyways probably.