Playing GBC and early GBA games on a backlit screen looks... wrong. Am I alone?

Should be easier to communicate while the character is actually moving:

Camelot scale the overworld and golf courses at a slight angle, it’s mode-7 style even if the GBA hardware doesn’t do mode-7.

Going back to the antialiasing - as soon as the player character or camera stops moving the scaled image of the overworld/golf course has visibly less pixelation/aliasing due to the use of flickering between the last moving frame and the current frame as a form of temporal antialiasing. I’m not quite sure how it works since, going back to the Mario Golf recording, only parts of the image exhibit flickering, like the palm trees?

We’ve gone full circle :smiley:

Interesting revisiting that blog post though - the Super Mario Bros Famicom Classic screenshot is very telling. Game looks nothing like that through my hardware, the HUD text in particular is antialiased in a way that is almost unauthentic to an actual Famicom’s output.

Sorry, only read from the thread bump onwards! The article is great though, really clever that they could target particular sprites or parts of the screen and leave everything else unaffected if so chosen.

That explains a lot, especially with Golden Sun and Mario Golf it should only be rendering a single large image in mode-7 style, yet the antialiasing effects certain parts of the screen (like the palm trees in Mario Golf). Really cool.

I’m seriously impressed by the Afterburner mod! Do you still have this GBA? Would you consider selling it? That’s definitely something I’d drive hours to get if possible.

This post inspired me to attempt installing an AGS-001 frontlight to an AGB screen. I’m still gathering the necessary parts, but I’ll see how laminating the frontlight to the screen with LOCA might help reduce the washing-out of colors.

It’s a shame that Afterburners aren’t produced anymore, as their white frontlight is definitely preferable to the very blue LEDs of the AGS-001.

1 Like

Hi and welcome!

I’m not planning to sell the AB mod right now, despite recently being on the fence regarding what to do with it. Glad you like it, it’s a neat piece of mobile gaming history. :slight_smile:

the GBC is quite lovely with the right lighting (admittedly can be a hassle). I was thinking of getting an Analogue Pocket to enjoy the console but it’s not worth all the money and time spent waiting for a preorder, especially when original hardware can look this good

here’s the same scene on an IPS modded GBA

1 Like

Not sure about that IPS. Looks way too vivid to me.

agreed, it just looks like emulation on a PC etc. IPS mods on the GBC look similar

I use the grid effect on my IPS GBC and it looks great.

I’m guessing you have the Q5. how are the colors?

I’ll see if I can find the pics.

Found, wow longer ago than I thought

3 Likes