Post a screenshot of the retro game you just finished!

Well since I’m dead. The music is just a cacophony of noise and the graphics are a step down in some ways from the 2nd game. Don’t forget there was no SoR4 (I guess there will be now, but it only took 2 decades).

I don’t think 3 is a bad game it’s just not as good as 2.

Tell us how you really feel :rofl:

But seriously, I used to feel the same. Then it grew on me. Now it’s my favourite!

1 Like

Just played through the five race GP on Roadster on Game Boy.

This game is amazing! I love the music and presentation, but the unpredictable AI makes it for me. Opponent racers often go faster than you for periods of time, so you’ve got to utilise superior cornering skills to get the edge.

Never heard of this one. Nice looking sprites rhough.

Played through Avenging Spirit (Phantasm in Japan) today. What a game! Really well designed, doesn’t outstay its welcome, and the possessing mechanics enrich the level design and replayability whenever you die.

What a credits font!

2 Likes

Is this 3DS VC?

Yup. It’s pretty cheap. The digital manual is excellent as well - surprised it’s been rewritten from the ground up.

Played through Night Striker on Saturn tonight, got the route F ending. I love this game, it feels like Blade Runner running on Super Scaler hardware with an awesome Zuntata synth soundtrack.

2 Likes

Never heard of this one.

Just realized it auto corrected to Night Stalker, should have been Night Striker. Check out the Saturn Memories video on it, it’s an awesome game.

1 Like

(Not my image, can’t snap pics at work…)

Nemesis is a 1990 shmup on the Game Boy that’s part of the Gradius series. Typical of Game Boy games of its time, it features 5 stages that take around 25 minutes to clear and music largely lifted from the earlier games, although the level and bosses are brand new.

I think it’s pretty cool! The play mechanics are solid as ever and though it’s simple and not particularly ambitious, it’s not creatively bankrupt either: the organic stage is quite different from other uses of that theme in the series and the bosses (beside the first, who’s just a retread of Big Core) look and fight quite unlike anything else before or after. I also think it’s the first game in the series to try to change up the subsequent loops by tweaking enemy spawns (albeilt only lightly) instead of just adding suicide bullets and making everything faster and tougher.

Difficulty-wise, it’s pretty relaxed by Gradius standards: I was able to clear the first loop in one lift and also beat the second on my first creditb efore getting bored. This is mostly thanks to the abundance of power-ups: it never feels like you can’t recover from death, which is something I can’t really say about most other gradius games.

The GB-ified classic tunes are competently arranged and the graphics are very nicely detailled, with the bosses in particular looking good. This does come at a heavy cost however: the game runs at 30 FPS and though you get used to it, it,s pretty disorienting at first and not ideal. ALso the sound for the Laser is horribly annoying but laser is useless anyways

But yeah, Nemesis is a pretty good shmup on its own merits and does the series proud. Recommended.

1 Like

Nice, can’t wait to play that one someday.

The Addams Family on Game Boy.

2 Likes

Hostages on the ST.

Atari ST? Is it bad I don’t recognize that name? :sweat:

I’m so ignorant about certain things. It’s actually kind of remarkable how much there is out there I’ve never seen regarding retro games.

Wait, you never heard of that system?=O

It was essentially the competitor to the Amiga.

I 1cced this game, I’m so HAPPY omg!!! (less happy about my phone being a piece of shit and not snapping my ranking mode result screen though).

Teenage-Glowsquid was a big of HOTD so getting a year back and seeing where it all started was a lot of fun. Virtua Cop is a big improvement over all previous light gun games, but it has some cheap tricks and some weirdness where some time killing an enemy too fast will result in unwinnable scenarios (because there are hostages arounds and they’ll be positioned in such a fashion you can’t hit an enemy, etc). Virtua Cop 2 tightened a lot of that up and I can’t wait to tackle it next!!

3 Likes

The Atari ST was a line of 16/32-bit computers, beginning with the 520ST in 1985 and ending with the Atari Falcon in 1992. It mainly competed against the Amiga, PC and Apple Mac line of computers.

Yea… I never even tried a non-Macintosh computer until Windows 95. So my familiarity with them is pretty much zilch.