Post your Retro Setup in Here

Don’t worry about it, the price to upkeep, mod, and utilize these things aren’t expensive at all! Phew… glad we got that sorted out!

bubbles

2 Likes

Cool TI. I just watched a video of Parsec and the female computer voice is really cool and the game looks really slick. Most games that had voice synthesis back then had the standard male robot sounding voice. I still remember the Bill Cosby TI commercials from when I was a kid. :laughing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ4zxUqTEVw

1 Like

I moved my setup today. I made the attempt to cram my PC, Commodores, Retro setup, shelves and couch into one downstairs bedroom.

11 Likes

Tell us more about that Amiga setup

Sure!

The left one is a Commodore 128, hooked up to a 1902a monitor. I have a pi1541 set up with it, and every game ever made for the C64 on the SD.

The right one is an Amiga 2000 with an Amiga 1080 monitor. It has a 3MB RAM expansion, and a SCSI controller with 40mb SCSI drive (that I don’t use). I’ve also got a Gotek floppy emulator with it, that has every Amiga game ever made on it.

I’d like to get an IDE controller for the Amiga so I can use a more modern hard drive, as the SCSI is hilariously loud and annoying.

I have a SD FuzinMonster in my X68000 to replace the SCSI drive in it. They’re more expensive than similar IDE devices but it might be worth looking into.

I also use a Gotek in a PC98.

Love the setup. I’d love to get into Amiga one day.

Interesting device. The nice thing about the big box Amigas, is there are ISA and Zorro slots on the motherboard, so you don’t need a SCSI card in the system at all.

You can get something like this: https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/produkt-details/product/buddha-ide.html

It even comes with a DoM (disk on module) which is essentially an old-school SSD. You plug it right into your Zorro slot, and it’s a standalone IDE controller.

Also if you’re interested in getting an Amiga, this may be able to help:

Really cool. I’ll definitely check the Amiga thread out. I’ve wanted one since I saw one at a PC Recycle shop as a kid but I’ve been putting it off for quite a while because it seems to be quite involved and I’m already involved enough with the Japanese PCs. Once my budget is freed up a bit, this might provide the push I need to finally check it out.

I think if you’re looking to just game on the Amiga systems, they’re not that involved at all. Get yourself a system, put a $40 Gotek in it, and you can play thousands of games.

If you want to use a proper amiga/commodore monitor for RGB support, then you’d have to find one along with your purchase.

Where things get complicated is when you dive into the world of running an OS on it, hard drives, accelerators etc etc. It can be very expensive and in-depth, but that’s all got pretty much nothing to do with gaming. A basic Amiga 500 and a composite-capable TV is all you need for games.

That’s not so bad. I’ll make a note to look into this all next month and maybe finally jump in. I’d definitely need to find some sort of RGB solution. Thanks for the info.

If you’re wanting to go the RGB route, any Amiga will work with a basic SCART cable out of the box. It’s a 15khz too, just like the rest of your retro consoles.

1 Like

Really impressive collections here, congratulations !
My setup is very simple.
I like to put my stuffs away from prying eyes :

I appreciate to install the console and the game I want to play in the moment and to see them properly, that’s our childhood so never too far away :

Here’s my Saturn’s wheel setup in action :

A night summer setup :

Romantic, isn’t it ?

I once done an arcade Switch setup, very pleasant to play :

But that hasn’t lasted, no modern machine for me anymore, I just want to play the real thing on CRT, I am definitely stuck in the retro zone.

8 Likes

Welcome to the site. Neat setup you got. Love how organized it is.

2 Likes

I really like how you display your consoles discretely. And kudos on the Outrun setup, makes me want to get a copy

1 Like

Your C-128 and Amiga 2000 set-ups are sweet! :smiley::+1:
Cool that you have the only Commodore monitor with the Amiga branding as well.

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah I picked up that monitor for a steal with an Amiga 1000 CIB.

Like raskulous I also recently switched rooms for my gaming setup.

I couldn’t fit a sofa in my other room and had to sit on the floor while gaming and occasionally I would get complaints from the person living under me since in the old room I was above his bedroom, which wasn’t helped due to my evening work hours meaning I tend to be the most active at night. Also got spotty internet using powerline plugs in said room so it is nice to again be able to directly wire into my router.

The setup is far from ideal but more comfortable for me now:

Spent a fair bit of time trying to keep the cabling as tidy as possible while also trying to keep power and AV cables separated whenever I can to avoid any possible interference.

Unfortunately I am a few wires short of having all my arcade hardware wired up at the moment and waiting on a 3m Cat7 ethernet cable to arrive so my Gamecube can get back it’s internet connection.

Current wiring into my Extron Crosspoint 12x8:

I gave my power cables just enough slack so I can slide my extensions from under my unit to easily access the individual power sockets so they can be turned on and off as required:

I also for my own convenience marked my BNC cables using coloured permanent marker pens as in the past it as been a pain trying to trace back BNC cables to figure out where they need to go when I’ve had to change something in the setup.

############ BONUS ###########################################

While I was setting this up I started thinking that maybe I could also get third monitor to fit on top of my unit and thus curiosity got the better of me and indeed I can fit a 20" PVM 14" PVM and 17" DTV in that space:

3monitors

For practical reasons I’m not doing this, however if I got back into shmups at some point I might be tempted to have a 14" monitors setup in the middle in Tate mode…

##############################################################

12 Likes

Wow, excellent job! What kind of surge protector and power cables are you using? They look so neat and tidy.

Oh my.

That’s very nice.

Been trying to integrate my PC and retro setups for a while now, and this is a pretty much perfect example of it. How big is that desk?