Post your Retro Setup in Here

It’s 6” from base to the top of the 32X based on the measurement I did below…

This Model 2 isn’t bypassed and so far I can say I have not noticed a difference. I played Gain Ground, NHL 94 on Sega CD and Virtua Racing Deluxe. Maybe as I play more Genesis games I’ll notice something in a game that bugs me, but not so far.

I like that this model looks better and just plain outputs stereo sound without extra mixing cables and more cables in general.

If I find something irritating, I will be sure to let you know.

3 Likes

Good to know. Thanks dude

2 Likes

I went to YouTube and listened to the comparison videos. It can be obvious assuming those are the truth. If it’s that muffled and sounds that bad I’ll eventually play a game where I notice it

2 Likes

For reference, I think this clip shows it best:

2 Likes

Yeah, that was the one I listened to also. I have Sonic 3 so I will toss it in and have a listen when I have time.

Technically… it’s a Sonic and Knuckles song :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Heh. Well, I did about as stark a comparison as you could do. I played through Act 1 and some of Act 2 on the Tower of Power and on the Mega Sg. They just sound… different.

The Mega Sg is of course running through a better sound system than 21 year old TV stereo speakers, so it is crisp and clear with an almost tinny sound. On the other hand, the old everything system has more low end and a full sound that is probably closer to what I remember.

This sort of comparison brings a lot of visual baggage too since the CRT has a look all its own that frankly can’t be duplicated by the Mega Sg IMO. It’s neither good nor bad that way. It’s just different.

Sonic 3 is interesting since it has a prerendered look to the main character sprite which looks better on a CRT IMO as there it covers for the sort of low res appearance you get with prerendered Sonic on a Mega Sg.

But all the visual stuff is not going to change that yes, you can probably make these games sound much better in other ways than what I have upstairs, but it won’t be quite as authentic and you could get a Model 2 modded or mod it yourself to have as good as it could get from OG hardware. That said, I did not seem to have the low fidelity sound that’s in that video. I like to think I have decent ears for this stuff, but that seems excessive.

1 Like

More comparison today. I should do a phone video next time…

Playing High Seas Havoc this time on both the tower and then the Mega Sg again. I can say with certainty that the biggest difference between the two is that the Mega Sg is clear with emphasis on the high end while the CRT is not quite as clear but also has more low end and simply sounds like I expect games to sound on a CRT.

It’s two different experiences for sure with one being the “real” one and the other being the modern interpretation of 1993. I don’t think either is better, but they are different!

1 Like

Since I had to move a couple of years ago, I’ve not really ever fully reset everything up, and then last year I moved the main retro console setup because electromagnetic interference from it was affecting my internet connection due to the very bad routing of the telephone cabling around the apartment I am renting and I have yet to wire it back up.

So in the mean time been hooking up consoles on demand in my living room (currently PS1 and Xbox setup) to my 20" PVM and using the studio speakers from the old retro console setup with that instead.

Finally starting to be happy with the Living room setup, with the aim of getting a “librarycade” feel:

Will need to sort out another set of powered speakers before I can get the other rooms retro console setup back up and running as using all the ones I have in the living room now…

8 Likes

Damn that looks awesome!

3 Likes

Wow, really impressive!

1 Like

Rad setup @Suteneko

1 Like

Just moved and it’s all starting to come together

7 Likes

Still not quite ready for a full tour of the new setup, but I finished up my coffee table today!

I made a poster to fit the top of it exactly, and had it printed along with the other posters I got. Today I used spray adhesive to attach it to the top.

I was thinking of getting plexi or glass cut and attaching it to the top over the poster, but honestly I just don’t think it’s worth it. The total cost for this coffee table including poster was like $32 CAD. I can’t seem to bring myself to pay at least $60 for plexi or much more for glass.

10 Likes

Haha, that’s really cool!

2 Likes

Thats an amazing Sega Master table!

2 Likes

I had my first retro gathering since setting up the basement. Was an awesome time!

13 Likes

Super cool set up! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

1 Like

Wow, awesome space you’ve created there! I love the blackboard by the kitchen area, and also the snack bar area you have. So is that rotary phone plugged in and does it actually work?

Reminds me of that video with the teenagers trying to figure out how to work one, lol!

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words!

I would love to get the rotary phone hooked up, but paying for a land line just for that is a bit silly. It’s just for show I guess.

That setup is an “authentic” commodore setup. The desk itself is a commodore desk, along with the phone, calculator and the C64 with monitor.

I even picked up that 80’s (maybe it’s 70’s) office chair specifically to match that desk lol…

That way you can sit down like you’re working in an office in the 80’s on a C64 and slack off playing games instead of working.

6 Likes