RGB Pick Up Thread Of Swag!

I haven’t had any issues but I’ve only put about 20 hours on it.

1 Like

No worries!

• The Clone GDEMU 5.15b was $60 USD - there are cheaper clones available but I happily paid the extra for the latest revision as some component differences in prior clones caused issues with DCHDMI and I may go down that route eventually.

• The 3D printed shroud was $10 (there are more expensive ones with SD card extenders but I don’t really see the point in those)

• The DreamPSU was $33 - maybe give this one a miss as there are some niggling issues with it (I’ll probably give mine a spin anyway as there haven’t been any reports of the design flaws actually causing any issues.)

• Noctua NF-A4x10 5V - 3-Pin Premium Quiet Fan (40mm, Brown) can be found for about $20. I bought mine locally but just make sure it’s the 5v 3 pin version.

• The 3D printed fan mount I picked mine up for about $15 but you may find them cheaper closer to you.

So basically $130ish all up but that’s only if you include the DreamPSU. Otherwise you can pretty much get everything you need for less than a hundo.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Got what i think is the last cable i’ll need (who am i kidding!) for my retro stuff.
AV Multi > RGB21. With this beauty I can easily get Saturn and Super Famicom in RGB on my Sony CRT which has the AV Multi port!

5 Likes

Ive been waiting months to pickup a gdemu from the dude - are there any disadvantages to the clone units as far as you were able to discover?

I haven’t received mine yet but from impressions online there are some drawbacks - the first is that you can’t update the software. Although there are suggestions that the latest 5.15b revision with the same Amtel chip may be able to be updated - that said it’s a moot point as there hasn’t been a software update in more than a year.

The second is that previous revisions also used a clock crystal with the wrong frequency which led to issues with DCHDMI. There may be others but I won’t know for a few weeks until my unit arrives.

I believe if you change out that clock crystal to the right one you’ll fix any DCHDMI issues. Though I’ve heard a bunch of people talk about being unhappy with the GDEMU in general (not just the clone ones).

Lots of nice retro stuff this month plus something very cool.

2 Likes

I thought I wouldn’t need to pick anything up for a while but I did recently remember that World e was included in the Super Mario Bros 3 GBA VC release (on Wii U), and I’m pretty excited to play some early 2000s internally-developed Mario levels now.

Still have Final Soldier on the list…

1 Like

I’m so happy to finally own both of these - that means I’m not chasing any more systems (maybe PCE down the road but I have no nostalgia for it) anyway when I received these they were both in rough cosmetic shape, I always forget to take before pictures though.

Anyway between them it probably took about six hours to get them cleaned up to my standard (lots of soap, scrubbing and a magic eraser) but I’m happy I put in the time because they look incredible.

Now I’m just waiting on multiple orders from China so I can finish modding these!

5 Likes

Just a PCE then you’ll be done. Oh and then maybe a psp go, a vita tv, why not have a 3rd and 4th ps2, can’t hurt to have more game boys, hello 2nd n64, wii, pce, retro computers sure are cool but I’ll stop at DOS, well gotta have some macs too, MSXes aren’t a stupid money hole. Man I should really buy some arcade boards.

Seriously thought get a PC Engine, you dont need nostalgia for such a great system.

2 Likes

Haha - I know what you mean. I’m tempted by a PCE but I have a bad habit of not finishing other projects first. My AV Famicom still hasn’t got an RGB mod and I still need to install a Pico PSU in my Japanese Saturn.

I already have a PCE Duo, but I’ve wanted a white PCE for ages, and got a good deal on this with the box.

5 Likes

Such a cool looking little console.

Started working on the consoles I got earlier. The game boy had sticky buttons and a busted speaker. I decided to put a new shell on it since I had to open it up. I love how it came out.

2 Likes

I’m jealous, the PC Engine Mini, while nice, really does just look and feel like a hollow low-budget replica, from the lack of heft to the less defined texture on the plastics.

Still gobsmacked today by how small the PC Engine is, it’s the Game Boy Micro of consoles. Lovely.

A couple of pickups from the 2000s:

Dead Rising is a game I’ve always been intrigued by but never picked up - I remember it being fairly pricey preowned back around release. But now it’s dirt cheap, and I definitely want to play the original Xbox 360 game which, from what I understand, is a landmark game for Capcom. The first MT Framework title and, being a wholly new idea conceptually, a far cry from modern Capcom’s love of remakes.

Innocent Life, for a Harvest Moon spin-off, always looked less interesting than Rune Factory back in the day, but it may well be the more interesting game after all. Developed by ArtePizza, whose craft on Opoona blew me away this month, I just have to check it out.

Interesting how Rising Star Games included a Japanese slip-paper for the game in their release.

4 Likes

Gorgeous job cleaning those! They look pristine

1 Like

There’s some awesome gear there! I have that PVM and switcher. Been super solid for me.

1 Like

Thanks! - I find it oddly relaxing, almost meditative to the point that I love finding fixer-upper consoles instead of spending more time and money hunting down things in better condition. With the self-isolating I’ve had to go through lately it’s been a fun project to do outdoors to pass the time.

Sadly my other project (ditching my current shelving for a custom rolling cart) is on hold as I can’t visit my father at the moment because he’s in his 70s and he has the tools and materials.