Sega Dreamcast |OT| It's Still Thinking

Grandia 2, Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi come to mind for single player

I donā€™t play RPGs, but have the other two.

Back in the day I played through on Dreamcast:

Rayman 2
Evil Dead
Soul Reaver
Code Veronica
Sonic Adventure 1 (played 2 on Gamecube)
Toy Commander
Tony Hawk 1 (had already played 2 to death on PS1)

Canā€™t really see playing most of them again. Maybe Rayman. I had Shenmue but never got around to it, should probably do that eventually.

2 Likes

I agree Dreamcast these days is mostly about the fighting games. SoulCalibur, Capcom stuff, etc. Thereā€™s still fun to be had outside this though, especially when you consider all of the shmups released for the Dreamcast. Itā€™s just as good as the Saturn in that regard.

Border Down
Mars Matrix
Bangai-O
Gunbird 2
GigaWing 1 and 2
Radirgy
Chaos Field
Psyvariar 2
etc.

Plus thereā€™s the unrelated topic of Cosmic Smash which really needs a modern port with some more levels.

Then if you want to play Dreamcast games on OG hardware rather than modern ports, things really open up and the system can shine a bit more.

3 Likes

One thing I will say after playing for a bit - DC has the best versions of King of Fighters 98 (99 dream Match) and 99 (Evolution).

Both are 240p and have fantastic clean almost cell shaded 3D versions of all the backgrounds. Plus arranged soundtracks which always lift Neo Geo games IMO.

3 Likes

Mars Matrix was great

My favourites are:

• Vanishing Point
  • Super Runabout
  • Ooga Booga
  • Bangai-O

Sturmwind is a good horizontal shmup kind of similar to like Thunder Force VI. think itā€™s on the Switch now too

other shmups I like are Zero Gunner 2, Triggerheart Exelica and Trizeal

Not mentioned so far but good fun for solo play, imports includedā€¦

Cannon Spike
Cosmic Smash (mentioned, but so awesome)
Napple Tale
Power Stone 2
F355 Challenge Passione Rossa
Armada
Zombie Revenge

Also, Mars Matrix is thirded from me. That game deserves an audience.

2 Likes

Other then an oddity regarding the number of max simultaneous players in some modes (3), this is a stone cold classic.

I donā€™t rate Power Stone 2 at all. Love the original, but found the sequel too chaotic and just doesnā€™t work as well as a four player game. Turned an original arena battler into a Mario Party minigame meets Smash bros.

I also never liked Smash bros though :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Quoted just for truth. Smash Bros is balls :grin:.
Right, where can I hide :yum:

1 Like

To be quite frank, I also canā€™t stand the Smash Bros. games. Iā€™ve really tried to get into them, but the gameplay has never managed to click with me.

By the way, Iā€™m the kind of guy who prefers Pac-Land and Wonder Boy to Super Mario Bros. :nerd_face:

1 Like

Melee and 64 are still a step above the other Smash games. Melee by far being the most fun in my opinion. Ultimate is just okay in comparison even though it has way more characters.

1 Like

in terms of 4 player mayhem, Brawl was my favourite in the series. that game was just so fun

Go-to recommendation of a puzzle series thatā€™s underappreciated on pretty much any system it has appeared on.

3 Likes

But the original is only 2 players right? We used to play 3 or 4 players in the sequel.

Iā€™ve never played Smash Bros even once!

Yes thatā€™s what the gameplay was designed for. It was still one on one fighter, and created a delicate balance of fighting, collecting power ups vs stopping the other guy from collecting them. Plus the stage designs had a great sense of place (designed around each character like most fighting games) and interesting ways to avoid/attack based on them.

I felt it didnā€™t work as well as a four player game. Much more chaotic, more generic stages and zoomed out more a lot of the time (due to needing more space for four players), more gimmicks, loses that balance. Like I said it felt like a Mario Party minigame.

Also I rarely had a chance to play anyway it as youā€™d need four Dreamcast pads which would be useless given there were almost no other four player games.

2 Likes

Fair enough on Power Stone 1 Vs 2.

Though there were plenty of 4 player DC games. We played Ooga Booga, Virtua Tennis, SF Rush 2049, Bomberman, Worms, Chu Chu Rocket, Re-volt. Probably others

1 Like

Man, I loved San Francisco Rush 2049! Played that game so much in multiplayer mode.

The battle mode where you use weapons to eliminate each other is great fun!

1 Like

So, I finally got my Dreamcast online!

I was absolutely floored to load up PSO just out of morbid curiosity and within 30 seconds I had someone asking me to join them and they walked me through (what I assume) was the first dungeon.

I played for about an hour and had an absolute blast.

9 Likes

Wow, whatā€™s the best way to do this in 2022? Iā€™d love to give it a shot.

1 Like