The official Retro Core / Battle of the Ports thread

One for those who love PC gaming I think.

1 Like

An old computer game “Classic” that actual got a NES port and an Amiga knock off.

3 Likes

Great video!

I won’t lie, this is actually one of my favourite Commodore 64 games. After getting burnt by awful ports like Double Dragon, I thought good beat 'em ups just weren’t possible on the good old C64. Then Street Hassle came along with its large sprites, smooth gameplay and “different moves per level”-gimmick and I was pleasantly surprised. Played this game for many hours back in the day!

3 Likes

Back to classic Konami with Gradius II on this week’s Battle of the Ports

4 Likes

Great Xybots video. Loved Xybots in the arcade and on the Lynx. The Lynx was a beast with its mid to late 80’s Atari Games arcade ports.

4 Likes

More classic Konami this week on battle of the Ports

3 Likes

I have played this a bit on the Atari 800, and it’s a lot of fun! Pretty awesome game.

The music in the arcade version is something else though, wow.

1 Like

A sports game that even people who hate sports games will place, on this week’s Battle of the ports.

3 Likes

Loved playing California Games on the C64 and the Master System. I didn’t realize those were also two of the best versions of the game!

Man, that CPC version sure sucked, huh?

Also, the Atari 2600 port looked surprisingly playable!

1 Like

Hell yes! California Games is a wonderful snapshot of that era that has somehow managed to transcend it.

“This port is shit.” had me rolling. lol

2 Likes

Yeah, you got lucky growning up with the two best versions. My self, it was the Master System version. As a kid I remember being good at the half-pipe, now I’m clueless, lol

1 Like

Great video, I loved the NES one as a kid.

Am I missing something, or did you call the C64 version the Apple II GS version at the end of the video?

1 Like

I’m not sure, I’ll have to watch it again.

Welp I just plucked a Master System version of California Games off of eBay. Thanks, I think? :smiley:

2 Likes

The Lynx version of California Games is great.

1 Like

A little late this week but finally released. this week on Battle of the Ports we take a look at a puzzle gamed from the masters of Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive. This is Tecmo’s Solomon’s Key.

4 Likes

I didn’t learn that there was a master system port of this until a few years ago… I really like the look of it over the NES one. It sounds great too, but that NES music always hits me in the feels.

I think if I were to play today, I would go with the SMS, but the NES one is what I played as a kid.

Shame the C64 one is so poorly done, that has some huge potential. Even the music isn’t that great for what the C64 can do

2 Likes

This week I’m covering a game I’m always asked to take a look at. It’s Megaman X3. There’s more ports than you probably knew about.

2 Likes

New video out today. Can we finally have some good mobile N64 emulation?