The Switch (and Pro Controllers) have Terrible D-Pads

I’m interested in finding out how the Switch Lite’s D-Pad is. I wouldn’t buy a Lite for that D-Pad given the versatility of the Switch itself and alternative input methods on that system, but given the hybrid nature of the machine it’s hard to predict whether it’ll be micro-switched like past Nintendo handhelds and the Vita, or it’ll have a mushy membrane like every Nintendo console D-Pad to date.

That did surprise me is how the Joy-Con analogue sticks are pretty serviceable for playing shmups with. No, really. So I picked up Rolling Gunner today and I thought I’d save my thumbs the wear and tear of rolling them across the individual Joy-Con buttons. Something which works but gives me blisters within days of play.

And I was surprised by how responsive and accurate the left stick was. It’s no Saturn D-Pad or arcade stick but I was able to weave in and out of thick patterns of bullets without ever feeling like it was letting me down. It does take a bit too much effort to do very quick, small motions, but the amount of travel makes it a decent substitute for purely digital input.

Yes, because they have such low travel they feel somewhat like NGPC sticks, just without the click. I played bunch of King of Fighters with them near launch and it worked great, while the d-buttons are of course no good for rolling between directions as needed with shooters and fighters.

Picked up a Pro Controller this week. Double checked the back of the box before opening it and it was a revised model.

Really happy with the D-Pad on it. I remember opening up the input test screen and bashing left, right, left, right repeatedly, and it didn’t falter with incorrect inputs once.

Since then I’ve been putting it through its paces on games like Rolling Gunner, Gunbird 2, Tetris 99, Puyo Puyo Tetris and SNES Online stuff and it’s just been a responsive and crisp D-Pad under the thumb.

What was that trick again?

To the left of the barcode on the back there’s an art_num (I think it’s labelled as such) on the side of the barcode, if it ends with B it’s a revision.

1 Like

WISE FWOM YOUR GWAVE!

Thought I’d resurrect this thread to note I bought one of the new Candy Con controllers from Gamestop last Friday. I’ve used it on both the PC and the Switch now and I am impressed!

First of all, it’s super customizable, not only in looks but also macros on buttons, swapping buttons, and it has configurable back buttons too! Pretty much anything you can think of, it’s doable, including say fighting game special move inputs on one button. It also has turbo on all buttons if you want.

The main draw though is the Hall Effect analog sticks, which should mean zero drift over time. Obviously mine is new so no word on longevity yet, but the feel of everything is excellent with nice weight, motion, rumble, and good button contact. The d-pad comes in two varieties too. I’m using the one that’s got definition to the cardinal directions. The other is more of a dish.

At $35 for the base unit with $4 sticks and $4 d-pads and a $10 shell, it’s very affordable. And you can always change up the look later for $15-$20. They also have some pre-defined setups for $49.99.

Looking forward to using it a lot more! It’s been mostly arcade games I’ve played so far. Demanding ones. It’s spot on, all wirelessly too.

3 Likes

Wow this looks good… does it come with a USB dongle?? Could be a great MiSTer controller!

1 Like

Yes, it sure does. You can use it wired to either device or you have the dongle for PC and it is seen as a Pro Controller on Switch. You just pair it with both and a switch on the bottom of the controller can be flipped if you carry it back and forth between PC and Switch.

1 Like