TurboGrafx16/PC Engine Mini Announced

I saw a video review by rerez saying the console kept repeating inputs on whatever controllers you used. Dunno if it was his review copy of the system, since my life in gaming never talked about something like that on their review(at least I dont remember, so if it happened, it wasnt a big deal.)

Nobody else has reported anything of the sort. I’ve also never heard of rerez.

From what I’ve seen they are pretty honest and good videos

I can’t get in to Rerez. To me he seems like a guy who just jumped on to the gaming bandwagon at some point way after his childhood.

1 Like

stole this from someones FB post

I’m guessing the bottom rows are the Mini’s

official merch’

They’re so… big lol.

Why is that bad?

Because to me they have no real connection to old games like us who played them when we were kids. To me it seems like they just check something on the net then use that as their memory.
I don’t know, maybe I’m just strange but that’s the type of feeling I get. I like it when people who grew up with stuff talk about details from their memories. It just seems more truthful in a way.

Like I said, that might be just me and my odd way of looking at things.

1 Like

I see what you mean.

As long as there is some original thought in there I don’t have a problem with discovering things after the fact. I’ve discovered the majority of my gaming since my limited budget teenage years, and I don’t think that makes it any less valid than the stuff I played back then.

On the other hand videos that regurgitate Wikipedia articles (like the beginning of the Soda Jerker podcast) really annoys me.

I don’t really care about that, as long as the content is good.

Don’t really like that channel though.

There are channels who do that retro bit well, and others who dont. I enjoy rerez for the famiclones and whatnot, and some of the hot takes. The génesis mini review however was super ass, although most of the comments on YouTube point out stuff like fanboys do, like the fact that he wanted sega 32x, CD of árcade games on the console. Árcade is stretching it, but the PCE mini has CD games so why not the gen mini? But alas, at least the quantity of games vs. The price are not a problem so I dont mind.

I’m fine with people coming to retro games now not having ever played them again when they’re authentic and aren’t doing it just to make fun of the past. I’ve seen a number of folks when I look at “RETRO” as a category on Twitch that will just blast old games with no context and that’s hard to watch. I immediately tune out.

I guess my hang ups with some modern channels that cover retro is similar to @Yakumo though. There is a lot of information out there to learn the facts of how these games came to be and how they were received. I just expect a certain level of respect and seriousness when they play them, and if you experienced stuff first hand in the '80s, '90s, and '00s, that usually interests me a lot more. I have those memories myself so it’s interesting to see how they match up. There have been times when Yakumo called something “CRAP” that I actually enjoyed!

I’m excited for my Genesis Mini to arrive, but I’m even more excited for this TG-16 Mini next year simply because it’s the one console I have a giant hole in my experiences for.

1 Like

packaging done

1 Like

Rip NEC. Anyways the box for the Core reminds me of famiclones for some reason. The TG one is dope and the original is 2nd best.

NEC company never went out of business, they just gave up on video games.
The company that went belly up is the partner Hudson Soft who went Defunct in 2012 and got absorbed by Konami.

Funny how the core Mini is almost the same size as the original.

To people who are more acquinted with the system than me: is there any game in these lists you think should have been featured in the Mini systems, but isn’t? I know very little about the PC Engine library outside of Dracula X, but I’ve been wanting to know more. I recently saw a Netflix anime called Hi-Score Girl (not that good of a plot, but the part that focuses on retro games is nice) and the main character mentioned a lot of (japanese) action games which have interested me.

Legendary Axe series (action-platform), Devil’s Crush (pinball), Gate of Thunder (shooter), Bloody Wolf (semi-overhead run 'n gun), Shubibinman 3 (action-platform), Valis series (action-platform), and Sylphia (shooter) would have been nice inclusions.

2 Likes

I would had loved to try out Legendary Axe series, Valis series, Bloody Wolf and Gate of Thunder as well. I’m still planning to get the mini though.

Gomola Speed

2 Likes

I’m surprised they left out Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu

the platforming bits are not great because the main character just moves too fast and so to does the combat but graphically I feel this title makes the pc engine stand up graphically next to some of the best mega drive and super famicom jpgs

1 Like