What are you playing? (Modern Gaming Edition)

Spiderman on PS4
Ultimate NES Remix on 3DS
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All on 3DS

I played and beat Thimbleweed Park on the PC. This game is in my opinion an absolute must-play for all lovers of the point and clicks of the classic Lucasarts. The puzzles are great imo, very logical and non-infuriating. The story is wierd but cool, the atmosphere is good and the graphics and general presenation is fantastic. I will highly recommend it!

I wasn’t sure where to put this, but since I’ve only been playing the Capcom Beat 'em Up Bundle lately, I figure this is as good a spot as any…

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

1 Like

I played and beaten Cuphead, ended it at 7 hours with 152 deaths. That’s far less than expected! I loved the game and can’t wait for the DLC!

yeah, i’m on a roll over here! decided to plat a few games:

spider-mayne
grim fandango HD
day of the tentacle HD
zero time dilemma
shenmoo 1 HD

was gonna go right into 2 but it’s horror month! honestly, i think in november ill just get back to that one & maybe finally go plat MGS3, i’d debated doing that one forever

Iv’e recently been playing Mega Man 11. Looking forward to Red Dead 2 and Fallout 76.

Some games I recently wrapped up and continue working through:

• Hollow Knight
  • Dead Cells
  • Crash Bandicoot N’sane Trilogy
  • Little Nightmares
  • God of War

Well, I have things to play…

Best Buy… Gamer’s Club Unlocked… CoD was $47.99 with another $10 reward cert arriving later. DQXI is on sale for $49.99 right now so with GCU I got it for $40. Dragon’s Crown Pro just got a price drop and they had only one left at $29.99 so that was $26.99.

I had to offset all that testosterone and bromance with some Toriyama and Kamitani.

2 Likes

The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories, SWERY’s latest game. I wasn’t quite sure whether to pick it up as soon as it released but I’m glad I did. It’s a unique take on the puzzle platformer where you have to actively hurt yourself to solve puzzles, so it’s got a big experimentation angle to it.

I quite like the visual design of the characters and the lighting, even if the environments aren’t particularly striking, and the characters who J.J. knew(?) are an interesting and varied bunch. I think I know where the tone of the story is going but I won’t make any predictions yet…

I also picked up Mark of the Ninja Remastered on Switch but there seems to be a bug that locks it to 30fps - half the framerate of the 360 original. Which I admit I never played, but it certainly makes this game feel choppier than it should, given the fast paced movements you need to pull off when things get tense.

Been playing some WarioWare Gold on 3DS while I’ve been sick in bed. It’s pretty cool, still funny, and nice to play something bite-sized and easy while I’m feeling crap.

It’s got some really nice 1:1 pixel art during some of the transition screens that looks amazing on the 3DS screen too. I wish I could take a picture but I don’t think it’s in spots where I could pause it.

1 Like

Is there a lot of content in it?

Seems about the same as the other games, so far, but I haven’t unlocked everything.

I’ve been playing Shinobido 2. I wish Acquire still made action games like this - the closest thing they’ve done since is Akiba’s Trip 2, which is almost six years old now, and not quite as unpredictable since it takes place on city streets with no verticality.

The beauty of this game is how, despite all its janky animation and movement, it gives you the freedom to approach its missions in any way you choose. The wonky Havoc physics and exploitable AI only improve this since you can create all manner of situations out of them.

For example, I was struggling to beat a samurai general, but after half a dozen retries I found you could let these bears out of their holding rooms. I didn’t expect them to maul my enemy to death!

The bear hunting missions are also a fun sign that the game isn’t afraid to take itself too seriously…

(I threw this bear off the cliff to defeat it)

Did anyone play the first Shinobido on the PS2? Is that worth tracking down? I noticed that it has better visuals than the Vita followup - much better lighting.

Does WarioWare Gold still have that magic the original game did? I was tempted to pick it up but after watching a few of the cutscenes (including the ending) it feels like the surrounding narrative isn’t as clever as it was in the first game.

That was, admittedly, true of Touched and Twisted as well, but there was something about WarioWare Inc being Nintendo R&D’s last ever original game that made it a bit more special - coming from Wario Land 4 you can tell the same team worked on it, especially when it comes to the music.

Is there any music as poignant as this in Gold?

and

https://youtu.be/fZTIWgG6IO0?t=91 (should timeskip)

I really like the first WarioWare.

Just finished the latest Tomb Raider which I thought was good for the most part. Now plowing through Forza Horaizon 4. Trying to enjoy it as much as possible before Red Dead Redempion 2 arrives on Friday. I just know that will eat up my life.

I kind of burned out on Dragon Quest XI. I wouldn’t say burned out, I would say, by the time I am able to play it I am zonked and ready for bed.

I finished Spider-Man the week I got it (got the platinum too).

I am going with the Spooky theme for this month and I am playing Oxenfree on Switch and Luigi’s Mansion on my N3DS. I am thinking about picking up Dark Souls for Switch because everything portable is more fun. I heard they screwed up the buttons though so I am holding off to see if they will correct it.

Not really that I’ve picked up on yet, but I’ve only really done the first play through.

I love love love the original. I often play it just to go through a round with Orbulon because I enjoy the music so much.

I’ve been doing the Tim Rogers method with Dragon Quest XI and playing about 30 minutes before bed most nights. It is well suited to playing that way. You know what would make it even better? Having it be on the Switch like it should also be by now.

Well my thought was actually sell this one and wait for switch. They already announced it and it turns out that DQ xi had the best opening in the west to date. (with 0 marketing, and launching next to Spider-Man). I should play for 30 minutes and move onto other games. The game legit makes me want to go to bed anyway. I think it’s the music which is a bit of a bummer to have such low quality tracks. Other than that, I’m enamored with the game.

I’ve gone back to playing Dragon Quest VII (stopped about 22 hrs in), and the nature of that game made it very easy to pick up where I left off. I also play about 30 minutes before bed, and it works out perfectly. Maybe it’s a DQ thing?

That’s what Rogers says…

Fun review. His style works way better in video voice over than in print.