MiSTer FPGA - OT

That sounds perfect.

I really need to buy a MiSTer.

Hold on, may have been premature with that. I quickly checked them this morning but just checked again and looked at some screens online. The grass is black in Masters (top pic) Pebble Beach seems ok (bottom). I can grab some other shots if youā€™re interested.

1 Like

Interesting! Thanks for following-up.

Odd problems. The colour of the grass is a new one on me! Usually itā€™s the HUD overlay that gets messed up.

Hey, so does a mister play PC games? Wondering whether I could use it to play stuff like Morrowind, Doom, Star Craft, Half Life, etc.

Can you run windows natively on it? Just curious about whatā€™s possible on this side of things.

Emulating arcade hardware is already really the main draw for me that is tempting me to pull the trigger, but Iā€™m just curious how much else you can really do with it. Emulating consoles isnā€™t really something Iā€™ll take advantage of much.

There is a PC core, AO486. It currently runs at the speed of a low-end 486, so even the original doom is stretching it in terms of playability. Morrowwind, Half life, all require pentium 2 class machines at the least with dedicated 3d acceleration to run at anywhere near playable framerates, and is far outside the scope of what a MiSTer implementation could achieve. For that, your only option is actual pc hardware. Thereā€™s plenty of options there though, and some small formfactor ones at that. I suggest you check out Phills computer lab channel on youtube.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick answer. Makes sense.

Bah, I thought there was more time but DE-10 nano (the main board) prices just went up $35 ($140->$175)!

That stinks, but everything is going up quick, especially anything tech related. The MiSTer is still a good value though. If you donā€™t need an I/O board then it is still under $250 for MiSTer+SDRAM+USB Hub (if you get a cheap one). Thatā€™s less than an FX-PAK Pro or Satiator.

PSX dev has decided to leave the project. I havenā€™t followed it very closely; ā€œpersonal friction with coworkerā€ from his post. That doesnā€™t sound like fun for a hobby project so I canā€™t blame him. It would have been a great addition to MiSTer, perhaps someone else will pick it up in the future.

:sob: Say it ainā€™t so!

Looks like a consolised system is almost here.

1 Like

It has a jamma adapter connection on there. Very interested.

Wow that looks awesome. Very affordable price too. I imagine setting up all the cores and addons individually would cost multiple times that. Iā€™ll be keeping an eye on this.

In think you still need to buy the DE-10 to go with this expansion board. And print your own case?

1 Like

Based on the video it does cost less than the sum of the current add ons, but you also donā€™t need some of them. For example, I use an OTG USB hub instead of the USB board and I donā€™t use snac, or have a use case for the jamma connection (I wish I did tho!). Not all cores require the additional SD ram as well. Direct video also allows for analog video without the IO board.

Iā€™m not mentioning these as negative things for this version because itā€™s great to see other options, but it also ultimately depends on each userā€™s plans for it.

Youā€™ll also still need to setup cores and do all the ini configurations. You can buy preconfigured sd cards, but youā€™re likely much better off setting it up yourself so you know how to change/troubleshoot settings.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen some folks throw off on this, but honestly I think it is great. MiSTer is an open platform, so this isnā€™t taking anything away from anyone else and is offering more of a console-like experience at a pretty good price!

3 Likes

Iā€™d be interested to hear what some negatives are on this. Iā€™m not fluent enough in the mister space to see the drawbacks.

I have seen some folks throw off on the fact the case is so ā€˜uglyā€™ and questioning the decision to go with a form factor that wouldnā€™t really work in an ITX PC case, which other projects are trying to do (but Iā€™m not sure the status of those). In the end I think this is cool just because it is a good value and it doesnā€™t take anything away from anyone trying to make projects with other goals.

2 Likes

I probably need to do more research into the Mister, but from what Iā€™ve read I got the impression that some of the cores require separate boards to be added on etc. For my current needs, Iā€™m really the most interested in CPS1/2 games and perhaps the PC Engine, although I donā€™t know if there are cores for that + USB for controllers Iā€™d imagine. Iā€™ll need to do more research.

From my short amount of research, I believe you need to join a Patreon in order to get those CPS cores.

A lot of classic arcade games are available already but it makes sense that arcade games take the longest to implement.