Please help me Welcome the "My Life in Gaming" guys to the RGB community!

I have a 14m2u also and confirm that it will look awesome!

1 Like

Indeed it does look better on the lower-end PVMs than the 20L5! This is addressed in the video. I’m assuming the HD capabilities of the 20L5 spaces out the rows more, which makes it so that each field pair is sandwiched between two stationary black lines. The image feels much more contiguous on my 20L2MD, and is the monitor that most off-CRT footage in the episode is shot off of.

https://gyazo.com/17036f2a50ced87a5eb310a713620c99

The above host doesn’t allow direct linking and serves ads so I’ve rehosted it for you - Socksfelloff

Glad you see it too and it’s not just my eyes playing tricks on me.

A big warm welcome! Happy to see you guys here :blush:

Welcome aboard guys! Awesome to have you here. :slight_smile:

Really interested in this CD drive replacement for Saturn. Is it the SD replacement?

Huge fans of your work, guys. Very pumped to have you contributing.

And interlaced is really mostly noticed on fxed screen, like bonus artwork pics in PS1 and Saturn games. During gameplay, with the background and sprites moving around, you don’t notice it. Well, I don’t.

Welcome you guys!

Heh, instant street cred. MLiG is great.

It really is fantastic to see both of you here, MLiG and both of your contribution’s to the retro community at large are both severely under appreciated.

The production and content of MLiG is so professional and you both inspire me to explore hardware options as well as games I have never played before.

I’ll stop gushing now but always look forward to all of your upcoming work and stoked to engage in some good discussion going forward.

It’s awesome to have the MLiG guys be a part of the community. The work you guys put in results in one of my favorite YouTube channels. Definitely a must watch for any retro enthusiast.

Welcome and good to see you guys on here

When the camera pans in a 3D 30fps game especially, it can create some really horrifying combing artifacts. In a game like Xenoblade where the backgrounds are really far away, swinging the camera can cause the entire image to fall apart.

Oh. Of course, I was only talking about 480i on a CRT. Yeah, combing can be nasty on a deinterlaced image.

I was actually talking about a CRT too. Maybe my vernacular is off?

By combing, I just mean I can see the gaps in the frames too much on edges of the polygons when the camera pans. It’s worse in 30fps games than 60fps games.

@CouryC @Try4ce have been my biggest influences in getting me back into retro gaming. I dipped my toe in prior to finding your videos but as soon as started watching videos I knew I was in trouble. I’m happy to say welcome and we are all better for your time and effort on your channel.

I know you did the night trap Blu-ray but I might be speaking for myself but I’d love physical copies of your RGB series. I hope some day you decide to do that. Keep up the good work fellas and welcome.

I don’t think I noticed it? Not to the extent it can show when deinterlaced for a computer screen or flat panel display.

I’ll try to look for it next time I have a 480i game.

[edit] DVDs are 480i and I’ve never noticed combing, whereas a badly deinterlaced film on a computer is impossible to watch.

Me too. I’ve long wanted the Saturn but I’m afraid of CD drives failing

It’s definitely possible to notice the combing edges on a CRT, but I feel like I don’t see it most of the time. It’s not quite the same as a completely non-deinterlaced image on a progressive screen.

Right. It doesn’t seem to affect all games equally. Xenoblade is really where I hate it most, and since I love that game so much I spent years hunting down a 20L5 to finally experience it properly…

…and now I finally own the 20l5, I have no time to play it.