The official Retro Core / Battle of the Ports thread

I’m not sure of the corporate structure but the closest analogue in the US would be like Goodwill or Value Village crossed with a pawn shop, but way more stuff you would actually want to buy in much better condition. Prices vary in those stores too depending on how much they think they can get for an item but there is price lookup at hardoff/bookoff that the staff uses, of course local markets all vary.

Hi Guys, this week on Battle of the Ports we take a look at Virtua Cop 2. can the Saturn still keep up? Is the Dreamcast version better than the PlayStation 2? Let’s find out.

3 Likes

It’s a chain but stores are allowed to individually price depending upon location.

Great work on the Virtua Cop videoes @Yakumo!!

1 Like

Great vid, really enjoyed this one, especially the bloopers lol.

2 Likes

Hehe, bloopers are kind of rare for me when doing voiceover recoding but for some reason I just wasn’t having a good time that day :joy:

2 Likes

Is it a shooter or a puzzle game? It’s Twinkle Star Sprites on this week’s Battle of the Ports.

1 Like

Finally after about 8 months of waiting I’ve found time to bring you the MSX 2 episode of Retro Core 5.
So what is the MSX and was it any good. Let’s find out.

2 Likes

Wow, this was a big one to cover. Pac-Man has so many ports plus loads of unofficial ports too. Let’s take a look at a load of them.

1 Like

Sometimes the simplest of games can be the most fun. Motos from Namco it just that.

3 Likes

Motos is a game I only know from seeing it scroll past in MAME, so will be checking this out with interest :slight_smile:

Thanks as always

1 Like

I think you’ll like it. It’s very simple but fun.

Is it really going to kill my up-scan converter? Does it only show 3/4 of the image? Let’s find out.

1 Like

Is the original Pac-Man even worth playing in a world where Ms. Pac-Man exists? :thinking:

I know that’s blasphemy for some. But I feel like ms. Pac-Man sort of made the original obsolete.

Great video, I’ve been tossing around the idea of getting one of these. As far as the cable you’re using for the RGB signal, is it just a SCART cable the unit comes with or did you provide your own?

lol, nevermind just saw your most recent video addressing this question exactly.

Thanks again!

1 Like

No worries :slight_smile:

Here one I bought months ago. It’s the Retro Mini. It claims to be a perfect GBA player but is it and what else can it do?

A little early this week since I’ll be away tomorrow.
This week we are taking a look at one of my favourite Capcom Fighters of all time, X-Men VS Street Fighter.

1 Like

This week I received a free third party Xbox One controller. Is it actually any good though? You know me. I’m not going to say it’s worth buying if it’s not.
Watch on to find out.

1 Like

I actually own the Saturn version of this game…it’s practically arcade perfect. Seeing the PS1 version in action was worse than I imagined!

1 Like